Chapter Nine | Cheesy Pickup Lines

CHAPTER NINE~
CHEESY PICK UP LINES

Somehow, James and I were engaging in a pickup line competition as we waited for Kenny and Soraya at the Rocks and Ropes Recreation Center. It started after we heard this guy attempt to use a cheesy pick up line on a girl. The dude succeeded, for reasons I would never understand so after we were done laughing about it, we began this war.

"I think I'm a snowflake because I'm falling for you!" James said.

"Hmmm... Life without you would be like a broken pencil: Pointless," I retorted.

"Do you have a map? Because I keep getting lost in your eyes," James added a cheeky wink at the end and I felt myself heat up despite knowing he didn't actually mean it. James smiled softly at my reaction so I forged on.

"Hello. I'm a thief and I'm here to steal your heart!"

"Isn't that one creepy? I mean? I'm a thief. I'd be creeped out," I laughed at his words. "Anyway, my turn. Do you come with cream and coffee? Because you're my sugar!"

I thought for a long moment and remembered a line I read once in a book. "Are you Google? Because I've found just what I'm searching for."

James' face turned panicky suddenly and I froze. "What?" I asked, looking around us.

"I need some answers for my math homework! Quick! Give me your number!" Then, unable to hold in his laughter, he dissolved into laughter. "Your reaction on was priceless! Jeez Cee! That was great!"

"Okay, okay! Moving on!" But James didn't stop laughing. My smile widened as I watched him lean back, freely laughing without a single ounce of restriction. He finally slowed down. "I'm continuing. I'm learning important dates in history. Want to be one of them?"

A few stray chuckles escaped his lips but he still spoke, "Let's commit the perfect crime, you steal my heart and I'll steal yours."

My heart melted at that one but I didn't let it show. "I hope you know CPR because you're taking my breath away!"

We got a few weird stares from the group of middle schoolers that passed by. I laughed shamelessly at their judging stares.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" James asked.

"Did it hurt when you crawled from hell?" I retorted without thinking.

"Burn!" One of the kids from the retreating group of middle schoolers yelled. They must be ditching school since it was a Tuesday. Or maybe they had a PD Day.

"Thanks!" I called.

"That was freaking brilliant!" James complimented.

"Thank you! Thank you!" I stood up and bowed dramatically.

"When will Soraya and Kenny get here?" James asked, effectively ending our war.

"Soon, they're a few blocks out and since Kenny has a car, he'll be here any second now," I replied, checking my phone. "Annnd... There they are."

The familiar blue Ford Fusion pulled into the parking lot of the rock climbing facility. Kenny honked as he passed the front, where we were sitting. I waved and laughed at Soraya who was practically sticking her head out the window like a dog as she waved back at me.

Within minutes they were parked and walking up to us.

"Hey-yooooo!" Soraya cheered in greeting as she got within earshot.

"Hey!" I called back. "You ready to do this?"

"Nope! I hate exercise and this counts as exercise."