Chapter 7: No Turning Back

Start from the beginning

"Why am I not surprised." Said Ikuto as he shot Hiro a cold glance.

"You see, the Terashima's two young princes, have offered, shall we say…a proposition." Said Kazumi.

"And what proposition would that be?" asked Amu.

"Simple, you see, we think that Kenta would be more fit to wed the princess…" Utau's eyes hardened as he continued "But most, even his royal highness, seem to disagree with us."

"Then why are you still here?" asked Ikuto.

"Simple, we want to give them both…a chance." Said Kazumi. "And in the end, we'll make our final decision on who seems fit. If you all truly disagree."

"What is this? Some kind of…contest? For Utau's hand?" asked Amu, she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Well, not exactly, but close enough." Said Kazumi. "Do you accept? If not, then her engagement with Kenta will stand and be on it's way."

Kukai suddenly flared up hearing this and he wasn't about to just stand there and keep his mouth shut. "She's not some kind of prize! Utau's a normal human being, and your agreeing with this is like saying she can just be bought by anyone!" He looked at Kenta and spoke "And you agreeing with this is even worse! You're no noble prince; you're a disgrace to your lineage!"

Everyone in the room was silent, and Kenta looked at Kukai wide-eyed. The king and queen couldn't help but be proud of Kukai for his courage to say something like that, but still, they kept silent.

"You're saying this because she's already with you." Hiro suddenly spoke. "Are you afraid that my brother might whisk her away from you?"

"Look." Stated Kukai "I don't know what your problem is, but get this. Weather Utau chooses me or not, is her choice and hers alone. I've no right to tell her what to do and not to do. I'll back off from her life when she wants me to, but as long as she wants me to be here, then I'll be right here got it? I'm not in this relationship to 'win' anything. You don't 'win' a person's feelings; you gain it, earn it and, if you choose to, you reciprocate it. End of story."

"…" Everyone was once again, shocked. Kukai's sudden speeches never fail to leave at least one person's mouth hanging open.

"Ah, how touching." But of course, someone always had to have the habit of ruining the moment.

They all looked over at Kazumi to see him smirking again "Now, I believe that I still owe everyone an explanation?"

"Go ahead." Motioned Ikuto "Not like we have much of a choice anyway, but can you hurry it up?"

"As you wish. Now, as I was saying, both are to be given a chance, and in the end, the kingdom shall decide on who the princess is to marry." Said Kazumi "And don't worry, your…origin, won't be a part of the judging." He states, looking directly at Kukai.

"Shouldn't Utau-chan have a say in this?" asked Nagihiko "You're forcing her into a part of something she doesn't want to be in. That's very much unfair for her, even his majesty doesn't seem to agree to your terms at all."

"Ah, but the law states that we are allowed to interfere and do what we also seem to be fit. That is exactly why we're making a proposition such as this." Said Kazumi.

"Fine." Everyone looked at Utau with shocked expressions because of her sudden agreement "I'll let you play your ploy, and your pathetic games, but I will not break off my engagement with Kukai in the process. Do whatever you want, but I am still his fiancée and no one is to act contrary to that fact."