2

"Goodnight love" Calum whispered stroking Lucy's hair putting her off to sleep "See you in the morning"

"Goodnight daddy" she mumbled back while Calum turned off the lights and gave her the teddy bear Luke had given to her when she was young. "Sweet dreams Lucy" Calum said while closing her door.

He thought to himself, wondering if they and Neighbour Michael were the only survivors left in the apocalypse. Ever since then, the earth had gone into a cold winter and had never became summer for a long time. "Maybe the infected had froze to death?" He thought since he hadn't seen one of them for a long time. Probably for 3 years already. Ever since they've migrated to Harmony, things have changed a lot but he only wanted the best for Lucy. He taught her new things everyday but he never wanted her to hold any sort of weapon. Safety for Lucy was his first priority. He sighed walking to the kitchen with his face in his hands and shook his head, Lucy's birthday was in 3 days and he didn't know what to give her plus, food was running out and he needed to do a supply run.

Calum thought the best time to do the supply run was now. Since it's nighttime when Lucy's asleep and especially when Neighbor Michael is asleep. The problem was that he was thinking of his own safety. Going out at a late time like this, what if the infected are still out there? He thought again, nothing could be out there now. Everything must've frozen to death in the cold at this temperature. He quickly walked to the thermometer at the front door and saw that it was -20 degrees Celsius. That's way too cold but it's now or never.

Calum grabbed his jacket, empty duffle bag and had a quick last glance at Lucy, she was dead asleep. "Sweet dreams little one" Calum whispered and walked to grab his keys. "Please please be safe" he begs to himself. With one last big breath, he stepped out the door and walked to the direction away from Harmony.

Calum shivered by the cold air as it swept through his unshielded face. He was lucky that he had the clothes to survive the long winter. As he looked up, he realized that the clouds had an odd look to them. "Strange" he thought.

A few steps away was the old, barren supermarket. The doors were chained up but there was still a slight hole to the wall. Calum used to know this place off by heart when he and his group used to camp here but it wasn't long until people kept going against the ration rules and it became a disaster but he hasn't been back for 3 years. Calum crawled through the old hole and came to see darkness. He lit up his old, dusty torch and shined it on some old shelves. "Baking needs... Toiletries... Meat... Dairy... ah here it is. The can isle" without wasting anytime, he quickly shoved all the cans he could took in his duffle bag and zipped it up carefully and quietly; just in case.

"Daddy?" Lucy woke up. Usually her dad would be sleeping next to her on his bed but weirdly, he wasn't there. "Daddy. It's not funny" she whispered "come out wherever you are" it was no use. She decided to find him on her own. Lucy took off her blankets and slipped on her shoes, not forgetting her teddy bear along the way. "Daddy?" She said walking out the bedroom door. She checked the time, 2:45 am. "I wonder where daddy is..." She thought. "Maybe he's outside!" She yelled hoping her dad would hear her. "DADDY!!" She checked the kitchen and living room, no sign of Calum whatsoever. She then checked the thermometer, -13 degrees Celsius. Reluctantly, Lucy decided to open the front door, which is what her dad never wanted her to do. Ever. Suddenly, out of nowhere was a growl. "Daddy? Is that you?" She whispered walking around her garden.
"Daddy, I can't see you, it's too dark" she says, squinting her eyes to see better.
Instead, a black dog appears behind her and starts licking her hand.
"Oh dear. Are you all alone out here?" Lucy says pouting.
"So you have my dog huh?" A hooded man says scaring Lucy
"Yes sir, but I'm not allowed to talk to strangers because my daddy says so"
"Ha. Nice dad you have there. A strict one it must be" Michael retorts "come here Bucky, come here"
With one last lick, Bucky retreats back to Neighbor Michael
"Are you the neighbor that daddy talks about?" Lucy asks.
"What's your daddy's name?" Michael replies, turning back around to face her
"Calum. Calum Hood." She proudly says
"Yeah if you say so. Goodnight uhh."
"Lucy"
"Ok goodnight Lucy. Don't tell your daddy alright?"
"Ok. I won't. Hey. Your hair looks funny. Why is it pink?" Lucy says, looking at the Neighbors messy ends that is dyed with pink
"It's an old thing sweetheart, I guess I got it about 9----"
"GET AWAY FROM MY DAUGHTER!" Michael looks towards the front gate to see Calum yelling at him while pointing a gun
"Ok but you see I was just---"
"I SAID GET AWAY. Lucy, please go back inside" Calum angrily says "YOU SAID YOU'D STAY AWAY. AND I MEAN IT. STAY AWAY"
"Ok calm down. I just wanted a little friendly chat that's all. You've changed so much Calum"
"Yeah. Because you've changed as well, you were a terrible person Michael"

HI SO SORRY NOT MALUM YETBHT I PROMISE BY CHAPTER 4 THERE WILL BE MALUM MALUM MALUM OKIE?? THANKS FOR READING. BAIZ