'Tell me, child, what is your name? Your real name.'

'Eliza, Your Majesty. Eliza is my name.'

The Queen's face turned white. 'What say you?' she said in a whisper.

Then she grabbed her with a wild look, 'Who told you to say that? Answer me! Who are you?' she cried at her.

Eliza pulled back out of the grip and walked out of the room as bewildered as the Queen. Of all the things she encountered since she chose to live as a princess, the Queen's reaction frightened her the most.

Once in her room, she locked the door from the inside and saw Nanny Ana sitting by the fireplace, braiding as she usually did. The nanny has never seen the girl so frightened.

'What happened, my child? I heard that the Princess's parents have arrived. They've found out you are not the real princess, haven't they?'

Eliza sat by her feet and held her hands tight.

'Nanny, this life as a princess is nothing I expected to be. And it is only my fault. I was too naïve to think everything would be as simple as in the fairy tales. But the heaviest burden is made of the secrets surrounding me. Please tell me, you gave me only good advice, why is it that my name upsets everyone? Tell me!'

The nanny's heart broke every time she saw her unhappy. After pondering for a few moments, she stood up from her chair and went by the window, watching the last daylight disappearing in the distance.

'The Queen wasn't always like this. She was merry and cheerful at the time she met the King. You see, there was true love between them. Love at first sight. She wasn't promised to anyone by her father and her heart always belonged to the King, since the first time they laid eyes on each other. They met at the ball celebrating her sixteenth birthday. And they remained together ever since. One week later they got married, and the Princess became Queen. The whole kingdom flourished like by magic. Peace and harmony settled in each citadel, in each and every home. 'But something was missing for their happiness to be complete. Life has given them everything: beauty, kindness, righteousness, compassion. But not children. Years had passed and the sound of little children's feet remained absent in the castle.

'After the advice of the most renowned doctors, after several attempts, after multiple remedies of the weirdest kind from varied healers, the Queen had reached the end of her patience. So she started looking for a different medicine, more powerful. More dangerous even.

'It wasn't long before she heard about a witch who lived in the forest and possessed tremendous powers. She wasted no time, and without the approval of the King, she set for the said forest. She went into the forest alone and came out more hopeful than ever. But also, more concerned than before. And in a few weeks time, the King had sent word that he was to have an heir to his throne.

'I know this story for even then I was most trusted by the Queen, and was to be the nanny of the yet unborn child. But everything in life comes with a price. The Queen told me one night, close to her term, about the price she was to pay. She promised the witch that when she would give birth, she would repay her however she wants. No matter what. She would have given her all the riches in the castle in a blink of an eye. She would have accepted to be a slave to the witch for all eternity, just so she could bring life to this earth. She would have gladly accepted to cease being a queen so she could raise her child in peace. That much she wanted this baby.

'When the time came, the Queen gave birth to not one, but two little girls, beautiful like I have never seen before—Mara and Eliza. But not an hour has passed since the girls came to this world, and the witch came to her, showing up unexpectedly in her room. She was the most hideous being I have ever seen. So hideous, I could not look at her. And her soul was just as hideous. For she asked the Queen to give her one of her daughters. In vain the Queen tried to convince her not to take the child, promised her every riches in the world. In vain threatened the King he would find her even at the edge of the earth. 'The witch approached the cradle and picked one of the newborn girls in her arms, the loudest one. None of us could do anything about it like an unseen wall was keeping us away from the child. This is how strong she was. Under our very eyes, she disappeared into the dark night with the newborn in her hands.

'Since then, the Queen was not herself anymore. Night after night, she roamed the halls of the palace crying and mourning. Not even the remaining child could soothe her pain. Although she loved her very much, she would always remind her of the lost child.

'The King ordered the forest in which the Queen had met the witch to be searched inch by inch. But nothing the Queen has seen could be found. Not the witch's house, not her servants, not the witch herself. As if they have never existed. And nothing was ever heard again of the lost princess.

'I swore then to keep the secret. The people always knew of the existence of only one princess—Mara. But this painful secret was burdening the Queen each and every moment. And every time she hears the name of her lost child, the memories of her recklessness come back stronger and more painful than ever. That is why she reacted the way she did. Because you bear the name of her beloved daughter. And above all, you are the same age and look very much like Princess Mara. What kind of mother wouldn't react strangely to such coincidences?'

Nanny Ana finished her story in tears. Then, she left the room without saying another word. Eliza stayed by the fire. Now she felt pity for the Queen and wondered how she could soothe her pain. But as she sat there, other worries came upon her. With trembling fingers, she discovered another wrinkle crossing her forehead.  

The spell becomes more powerful. And Eliza has to face not only the spell she's under but also the truth. Please let me know what you think about this chapter. Votes and comments are more than welcome. Enjoy!