Chapter One Hundred Twenty

Start from the beginning

He avoided my question, so I ask again, "How did you find out he was there?"

Somewhere in the back of my consciousness I hear Arrow say, "Come on, guys, let's give LT and Scott the room."

Once the energy and atmosphere in the room change, I know we're alone and Ash says, "Dani recognized him. When the teams turned up to find out how you were doing, she saw him and told me."

"How was she? Did she have a complete melt down?"

"She was upset, I can't blame her for that. She thought we were the good guys and it turns out one of the people who's supposed to help, was actually a perpetrator. She didn't have an uncontrollable freak out though. I managed to handle it."

I let out a deep breath, "Thanks man. I'm sorry you had to deal with that; that you've had to deal with everything."

"I'm glad to help. I wish you didn't get shot, but I'm happy to do whatever you need me to. How you doing, really?"

"It hurts like a mother but at least I'm not dead, right?"

He chuckles, "Yeah, there is that."

It might seem frivolous, talking about death like that, but that's the Army coming out in us. We've been around death far more than people can comprehend and a dark sense of humor about these kinds of things are how we get through some of the horrors we've seen.

"Have the doctors said when you're getting out of here?"

"No, not yet. Hopefully tomorrow, otherwise I might just discharge myself. I can't wait to go home."

"You need to make sure you're well enough to leave first. We've got the precinct covered, Eli. Just rest up and get better."

There's a soft knock on the door and Dani's face appears. She whispers, "Am I interrupting? Should I come back later?"

Ash speaks first, "I was just leaving. This guy needs to rest. I'll take the team away. Cap said he'd stop in at some point. I'm glad you're not dead, Eli."

I shoot him a smile, but I don't miss the frown on Dani's face at Ash's words. That doesn't sit well with her. After Ash has gone, Dani and I sit in silence for a little while.

Eventually, I question, "Are you ok?"

She smiles and replies, "I should be asking you that. Do you need anything? Should I get the doctor?"

"No, I'm fine. Have they said when I can leave?"

"No. Probably not for a few days. They'll want to make sure you don't have any underlying problems or infections. I'm guessing they'll make sure the intravenous antibiotics are at a point where they can stop them and put you on tablets."