Chapter 3

I hope I’ve done well! I just did the Physics exam yesterday, no sweat, thank goodness! That stupid boy! I heard he’s in my class… I hope he comes down with a case of the measles…

                “Unnie, I’m in love.” Bom said, sighing. She had a lovestruck expression on her angelic face.

                “Aisht, Bom I met him yesterday. I told you all about him. He’s so not worth the trouble! And you deserve better than him!” I chided her.

              “Sure, which is why I’ve fallen in love with his brother. You can have him all to yourself, my dear unnie!” Bom replied cheekily.

                “Yah! I will never… The nerve of him! Eurgh!” I made a funny face at her, acting like I was puking. “By the way, what does your guy look like?”

                Bom reddened. “He’s not my guy, I just like him. And he’s over there.” She said, pointing.

                I turned and took a quick glance at him. “Nice eyes, almost feminine.” I commented to Bom.

                “What?! N-no t-they’re not!” She said, her face red, trying desperately to ignore that fact. She gave up. “Oh well… maybe a little…”

                I didn’t reply. I was hunched under the table, shaking with silent laughter.

                “Yah! Dara-unnie! People are staring!”

                Beep beep beep beep beep

                “My watch is beeping. We should head up to class. Come on!”

                She didn’t budge.

                “Oi! Get over here!”

                She glared at me. “Why did you shout so loudly? Are you trying to attract attention to me?”

                “No…” I said meekly. “You’re doing that all on your own!”

                Bom’s flush reddened. She scuttled my way and together we went up to class.

                ****

                “You will get back your exams today.” The teacher announced loudly. “I am pleased to tell you that the highest scorer in this class is…”

                “Kim Jiyong, sir.”

                “Kim Seunghyun, sir.”

                “Kim Seungri, sir.”

                Oh no…

                It was those three brothers again! But what a weird surname for three rich brothers! It doesn’t sound like it’s a title of a rich family at all!

                I saw Bom straighten up in her seat. Her hero’s name, apparently, was Kim Seunghyun. She tried to catch his attention by staring straight at him.

                Her strategy would have worked, if not for all the other girls who were doing the same thing.

                I rolled my eyes and slouched in my chair, right at the back of the class.

                “Sajangnim told us to get over here and introduce ourselves to you. We’re to join this class.” The smallest, most dopey guy announced in a high pitched voice. “We can’t wait to get started!”

                The other two winced. This guy was over-enthusiastic, indeed!

                “Take seats near the back of the class. We’re glad to have you.” The teacher said bitterly. It was popular knowledge that he hated teens, especially when he had to teach them.

                “Sandara Park.”

                I jerked upright. What did he want now? Was it my science? Did I fail?

                My heart sank.

                “You are the top of the class! I’m impressed. This is a huge improvement from last year. Congratulations.” He said as he held out my paper.

                I stood up slowly. My legs didn’t feel like they were there. I tried my best not to wobble to the front, knowing that my mouth was open, but I didn’t care. On the way, I passed by the Kims. The arrogant one had a smirk on his face as I sauntered past him to get my paper. Eventually I reached the front.

                I took my paper and walked back to my seat. My mind was still numb.

                Slowly it set in.

                I’d done it.

                I’d scored flying colours for my PHYSICS EXAM!

                “Wooo!” I yelled, loud.

                Everyone turned to stare.

                “Sorry…” I muttered, face reddening.

                 He chuckled softly beside me. I glared at him. I’d just opened my mouth to retaliate when –

                “Now, to do with the newbies. I’ve decided that a few lucky people get to show them around the school.” A lot of the girls leaned forward eagerly. I sniffed. They didn’t know what they were getting themselves into.

                “Those who got top scores in the exam.”

                My mouth dropped open. What?! No! This cannot be happening to me!

               “So Sandara Park, Park Bom and Lee Chaerin, you are honoured to accompany these young men around the school. You deserve it.” He said, smirking. He was so obviously just glad to get the boys off his hands!

                Eurgh! This wasn’t WORTH the trouble of studying!

                Kim Jiyong smiled next to me.

                I felt like puking!