03 | Full of Surprises

Start from the beginning

"I knew it! Who is the lucky boy, hm?" I squealed excitedly. Emily cleared her throat awkwardly and gave me a nervous smile. Her shifty eyes refused to make eye contact with me and she couldn't stop fidgeting in place.

"Lexi, you know how it is with balls at the Academy, don't you? You can't go without a date, so of course I have to have a date, but you know, it doesn't really mean anything at all and you are really just thinking too much of it and all and really—," she rambled nervously, licking her lips and throwing her hands in all directions. As horrible as I might seem, seeing her get so flustered over a boy was really funny, and I was looking forward to see just how much she could ramble. However, my fun was quickly cut short by the clearing of a throat.

Turning around, I saw that it was none other than the Royals themselves, in the flesh. Emily, who took notice of them, let out a squeak and kept her head down low. In their uniforms, they look fit to walk a runway instead of just attending classes. Students lingering around us started to pause, staring at us with interest.

"What now?" I muttered under my breath, rolling my eyes.

"Hey Asher, isn't that your—," Logan began to say before Emily cleared her throat loudly.

"Lexi, meet my date to the Winter Ball," Emily blurted out quickly. My eyes nearly bugged out of my head, and I stared at the four boys in front of us.

"Which one of them is your d-date?" I stuttered, blinking slowly to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Then, with a low voice, I pleaded, "Please, please tell me it's not Asher Dane."

"Uh, Lexi," Emily whispered awkwardly. "It is Asher Dane."

"W-what?" I blurted out, dumbfounded. "But he, he's such an ass!"

"I'm right here," Asher muttered, his expression one of annoyance.

"I know that!" I snapped before turning to Emily again. Logan and Yuko looked like they were about to laugh, but quickly controlled themselves when Asher shot them a warning glare.

"I'm so confused. I, I don't know what's happening. Emily? Explain? Please?" I mumbled dazedly, staring at Emily and back at Asher Dane, who looked as cranky as ever. Emily giggled nervously.

"Um," Emily began, coughing awkwardly. "Asher and I are kind of..."

"Engaged," Asher finished impatiently, crossing his arms. I almost started choking on air.

"Huh?!" I yelled, before Emily quickly slapped a palm across my mouth and muffling my agonizing shout. Once she was sure I wasn't going to start screaming like a banshee anymore, she cautiously removed her palm from my mouth.

"You're stuck with him for the rest of your life? Emily, don't do this to yourself!" I cried theatrically, grabbing her by the shoulders and shaking her lightly. 

"Oi!" Asher snapped. I caught Logan laughing softly under his breath but he quickly composed himself after Asher gave him the evil eye.

"It's complicated," Emily mumbled. I opened my mouth to fire more questions at my new friend, but was quickly cut off by her.

"So! You need a date to the ball, right?" Emily said, changing subjects. I narrowed my eyes.

"What are you trying to get at?" I asked suspiciously.

"Well maybe one of them can take you!" Emily cheered, pointing to the three remaining Royals.

"No."

"But, Lexi—"

"Nope."

"C'mon, it'll be fun—"