Karmen

Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real. But fear is a choice. Being fearful of something that may never happen, that’s the brink to insanity. 

That quote was written on my mirror. My life wasn’t some book about a girl leader. I was never abandoned. My parents are alive and well. I’m not the only leader, I wasn’t the first, I’m not the best; but I’m here. Respect me. I used to want to be a model. My pretty face with long red hair, I looked like no other. Although, the doctor crushed my dreams when he told me I will grow no more. I stand at a short 5”3. I like it, it makes me look cute. You have to make the best out of every situation. My mom and dad are both short. My mom 5”5 and my dad 5”7. I have a tiny waist from working out every day. No I don’t need a membership to a gym. My family has one in the basement. My life is business.

I stared into my mirror. My face has matured over the freshman and sophomore years but now I’m going into junior year. I had braces in 7th and 8th grade. Bad memories. My father is from Louisiana and my mother is just Italian. I’m 50% Creole and 50% Italian. I use my nice smile now to get what I need. The school recently ended so I’m up extremely early for summer. This summer won’t be like any other. This summer is my turn. I’m going to be seventeen in October. Soon enough. My dad’s best friend’s (basically my uncle) son is my business partner. I’m supposed to meet him today over our first business deal. Word has gotten around that the Old Guys have given the business down to the Green’s. (Younger).

“You almost ready Kar?” My mom said from the intercom in the kitchen. I pushed the reply button and said “yes momma.” My name Karmen. I wore a red pencil skirt that barley covered my butt and a white and red high-lo button up see through; that showed shoulders. The loose see through button up was loosely tucked into my skirt. I had white wedges on. I ran my manicured nails through my hair and over my perfect face. Of course I wear makeup I’m a normal teen girl. Well sometimes. My hair was strait today but naturally its wavy at the crown but nappy around the front edges. Thank my dad strong genes for the waviness my mom strong genes for the naps. But with my professional stylist my hair looks good and goes past my waist. I walked out of my bathroom into my room. My iPhone was sitting on my bed so I picked it up. I pressed the button to call Siri. “Siri, call James.” “Calling James.” Was her answer. I waited as the phone rang.

“Yeah?” James said groggily.

“Wassup James you asleep?” I replied in my cute voice. I mean James was fine. His light skin, perfect teeth, hazel eyes,strong jaw line and muscles on muscles. But, James was my business partner. Nothing more. Even if i wanted it to be more.

          “Yeah I was; its summer bae what you think?” He said chuckling while moving around. “Ummm who are you talking too?” I heard a girl in the background.

“No one, damn,” James replies to her. Ugh that must be his girl

“Well it looks like you have company,” I chuckled “But just remember we have a meeting today for lunch before the deal.”

“Alright. I’ll be there.” James said and I hung up so he can return to his girl. Now his girl is literally crazy. Their on and off and yesterday they were off until the party. So I guess their back on. My mom called my phone. “Hello?” “Kar get down here and eat now.” “Okay, okay mom.” I hung up and walked down stairs.  My brother who was going to be a freshman was already chowing down on the breakfast my mom made plus cereal. My dad was the same way but he just only ate my mom’s cooking.

“Look who the cat dragged in.” My brother sneered.

“We don’t have a cat.” I replied smartly.

“Look what the wind blew in.”

“It's not going to be windy today and you’re just jealous because you’re not older.” I said back sticking my tongue out. I turned to the island and picked out Ham, Eggs, Waffles, and Oatmeal. I told you I work out like every day.

“Well you both act like your three to me.” My father intervened

“DAD!” we both yelled.

“Goodness all of you SHUTUP!” my mom yelled. Peacemaker? Something like that.

“You make that business meeting with James like I asked?” My dad stared at me. I nodded my head yes.

“You’re going to be picking up right where I left off. I’ll always be here to help you. But it’s you and James now. Work together as one. A house divided against itself cannot stand.” He yearned. My father was very intelligent.

“My famiglia were very weary giving your father the business. He prooved himself and now its your turn.” My mother looked at me. I smiled I was very honored. I had her same soft brown eyes. The red hair was from my fathers mom.  

“Okay well im off to football.” My brother popped up.

“Okay bye baby!” My mom said.

He hugged my dad and kissed my mom on her head.

“Bye stinky girl.”

“Bye ugly.” I replied. Then James texted me as my brother Kane was walking out.

James: Ayee Mami. Were going to Bubba Gump in the Navy Peir at 1. Ill pick you up.

Mai: Okay. I can drive myself.

James: Okay.

“Okay honey me and Karmen are going to go to the store to pick out stuff for her office.” My dad said kissing my mom. “And we need to talk more.” I nodded and got up putting my dishes in the dish washer.

“Have fun.” My mom said without turning around.

My dad and I walked out to the car. He unlocked the BMW, raised the garage and pulled out. At first the ride was silent then I spoke “Dad you know my friends all think were rich.”

“I can presume we actually are.”

“Did you always used to be rich?”

“no. I was poor.”

“Dad how long has the business been going through the family?”

“Your moms? Generations.”

“Do we kill people...you know in the business?”

“Well have you ever seen what other Gangs do on the TV?”

“Yes.” I replied.

“Well we do that but more. Thats why the business is so succesful.”

“So if were rich people would say I was born with a gold spoon in my mouth.”

My dad chuckled “Maybe you can say that but I always said I was born with a plastic one.”

I chuckled too but then got seorise. “Dad I wouldnt say mine is gold though...”

“Hmm, then what would you say then?” My dad replied confused.

I took a deep breath “I would say a metal one...”

How is it you guys? Do you like it? Comment and tell me if you do! Like Like Like! Next Chapter coming soon. Sorry its boringL and short. The next chapter will be better!!

Imani