7 - You

When I woke up, Brendan was gone. My window had been shut and his side of the bed made.

I leaned over to check my phone. No texts.

Stella D.
Where'd you go?

I looked back at my messages and saw that Maxie had texted me.

Maxie R.
Wanna head down to the studio today? In need of blowing off steam!!!

Her sister owned a dance studio/gym downtown. She let Maxie and me use it whenever there's no classes in session, which was an amazing stress relief.

Stella D.
Yes please!

I went back to the conversation with Brendan and saw that he read my message but didn't answer. My eyebrows pulled together in confusion. What in the hell was his issue? I took a deep breath and tried to push him out of my head as I got up out of bed.

I pulled on some sweats, a sports bra, and a t shirt before grabbing my bag and heading out the door. Maxie was waiting outside the apartment complex, and I eagerly climbed into her car. I had to talk about the Brendan situation.

"Brendan is pulling some weird shit on me," I told her as she pulled away from the curb.

"Like what?" she questioned.

"Well he came over last night. He was gone before I woke up, and read and didn't answer my text," I explained, running my fingers through my hair in a half hearted attempt to get it to go into a pony tail.

As if he knew I was talking about him, his name lit up my phone.

Brendan G.
We can't do this anymore. I'm sorry. It's just not working.

"What the fuck?" I said loudly. Why in the hell did it sound like he was breaking up with me? This wasn't a relationship. I read the message to Maxie and she looked just as confused as I felt.

Stella D.
Umm.... Okay?? This is a little weird.. Can you at least tel me why?

He replied instantly.

Brendan G.
I can't.. Sorry.

I rolled my eyes and locked my phone, tucking it into my bag. I fought back tears as the city whirred by in Maxie's old Subaru. This was exactly why I didn't want to have feelings for him. I knew this would happen. I fucking knew it.

<><><><><><><>

After a couple of hours of dancing my ass off, I felt a little bit better. Maxie could sense my mood, so she was pretty laid back for the whole time, which I extremely appreciated.

"Would posting a sexy pic to Insta help?" she questioned with a laugh. I grinned at her and went over to the wall mirrors. I stood on my tiptoes and took a quick picture.

I went back over to Maxie and sat down before posting it with the caption:

"Nothing like a four hour dance session to blow off some steam😈"

I briefly considered tagging Brendan, but I decided to take the high road and just posted it as it was. I set my phone to the side and laid back, looking up at the off white cracked ceiling of the studio. Maxie's sister was always complaining about the cracks in it. It added character, I thought.

My phone vibrated loudly on the wooden floors.

Lucas B.
Such a beautiful picture there on Instagram. Perhaps you could dance for me?😏