Chapter 6 : Nightmares and Fears

I had another crippling nightmare.

'Of course.'

I was in the plane, back in the plane. My family was there. The wing was blown of by a missile, the thundering sound causing distressed screaming and sobbing to be heard from the plane. My family was crying, holding me, saying everything was going to be alright, even though they knew it wouldn't. The people around us threw us the parachutes, but our family stayed behind with there not being enough parachutes. I fought to stay on board, but my Father strapped the parachute on forcefully, told me how to use it, and pushed me out the door, the most selfless man I ever knew. The plane was blown into fragments before they could find a way to get out safely. My brother's parachute was blown off with wind of the explosion. I desperately tried to grab Lucia's hand and looked at Ryan's drifting parachute with tears in my eyes. "RYAN!" I screamed.

The nightmare warped, changing. I was being choked by the man who fostered me before Jack...his arms wrapped around my throat as I desperately gasped for air.

"Never ever talk back to me again!! You worthless piece of shi-"

I woke up screaming, trembling, and sobbing, and Jack sprinted into my room holding a chair leg, red eyes tired but alert.

"Cas what's wrong! Are you okay?!"Jack panicked, his expression in a state of fear. I started hyperventalating and he wrapped me up in a hug tightly.

"Jack?"

"Yeah?"

"Where did you get a chair leg?" I sniffled curiously, trying to ground myself.

"Oh, we broke a chair while filming" He grinned, trying to cheer me up. I laughed very softly, catching my breath and resting my head on his shoulder.

"Why don't you come to watch TV with me for a bit? It may help you calm down" Jack suggested, attempting to make me feel a little better again. I nodded calmly and walked downstairs with him. We watched a section of the Avengers movie, but we started talking halfway through.

"I have a question, if you are okay to answer it" Jack told me. I nodded, tilting my head.  "What happened tonight?" He asked gently. As I went to explain I relived the moment, and began visibly shaking. 

"Are you alright?" 

I couldn't hear anything. My vision was going dark. I can't breathe.

'Panic attack.'

I jump over the back of the couch hastily and sprint to my room, tripping multiple times. I slam myself down on the floor, back against the wall, trying to breathe. My eyes go blurry and my mind races with the realisation that panic is consuming me. 

JACK'S POV

Cassie panicked and dashed off, with a solid jump over the couch. I walked after her hastily, jogging upstairs as I entered her room. She was leaning against the wall, struggling to breathe and staring blankly ahead. I dropped down gently in front of her. 

"Hey, hey, shhh it's okay, everything's alright..." I whispered reassuringly, hugging her very gently. I put my hand under her ear to hold her head up. "It's okay honey," I whispered again, trying not to startle her. She panicked and her fast breathing picked up even more. I realized that under my hand was a scar, a long healing scar, and quickly moved my hand, placing them on both her shoulders to ground her. She pulled away fast and backed up into the corner, fear completely overtaking any expression she had. Every time I tried to get closer, she backed away. My heart ached

'Someone has hurt her so badly, she might not trust anyone again.'

That thought hurt me in its entirety. 

'How could somebody harm such a sweet young lady? '

I remained still for a moment, looking at her, giving her the okay that if she wanted my help, I'm present and there for her. Eventually, she came back towards me.

"I'm so sorry Jack, I didn't mean to-"

"It's alright Cas, this is not your fault, you're just scared...and I'm here to help honey, okay?" I whispered in reply. She hugged me tightly.

"I want to stay with you," She whispered to me.

"You always will, I will never let anyone hurt you ever again" I replied reassuringly, kissing her hair.

CASSIE'S POV

I went back to sitting on the couch with Jack. I didn't want to leave his side. 

I can't

I snuggled in closer to his side, relaxing, knowing how safe I was with him. He put his arm around me, and I finally started to drift off. But as soon as I did, the familiar beginning of the nightmare started. I woke up again, freaked out, and still never got any sleep. 

'What's new?' 

I felt an arm come around me."It's okay, Jack's here" He whispered. I felt tears well up, but I decided to tell Jack what happened.

"Hey Jack?" 

"Yeah?" He spoke calmly, looking down at me and smiling.

"I decided I would tell you why I had that panic attack," I mumbled hesitantly. Jack pulled me closer and sat up. "A few months ago, I was in foster care with a couple. H.h-h-he a-abused-" Jack was already horrified. "This," I say pointing to the scar on my neck "Was when he decided that a knife would do a better job. He slit the side of my throat and left me for dead in the spare room. His wife took me to the hospital, and they stitched up the wound. That is the permanent reminder" I say. "Her kindness saved my life." Jack teared up as he looked at me, sniffling. "Jack why are you crying?" 

"Well, it's just...I can't believe someone would do that to you, to anyone" Jack mumbled, his voice gravelled and low. I hugged him tightly as I fell asleep again, and knowing Jack was there, I slept for the rest of the night.

Authors note: Thank you for reading! Keep smiling and shoot for the stars xox

~Midnight <3