Chapter 2 : Introduction's

JACK'S POV

I notice curiously as this next young lady stumbles into the room, umbrella in hand. She glanced up very nervously with a beautiful, happy smile, which I gladly returned, and introduced herself as 'Cassie.'

CASSIE'S POV

"G'day sir! My name is Cassie, it's a pleasure to meet you, sir" I beamed, holding my hand out for a handshake. He happily shook my hand, firmly.

"Hi there! I'm Jack" He replied, smiling brightly. "Please have a seat."

We had a casual conversation about our lives, getting to know each other. He told me he was an internet influencer and gamer, to which we collectively enthused about gaming. I explained my job at the convenience store, displaying my optimism as I do enjoy my job thoroughly, love my team and have an awesome boss.

I explain the store is within both viewing and walking distance, he asked for me to point it out to him out of curiosity. As I stood, my right leg faltered, causing my hand to fly and grasp the table.

"Are you alright sweetie?" He quickly asked, his arm extended in an offer to help.

"Sir, in a bid to sound as optimistic as I can about this facility, not ALL the children are as...responsive in a positive matter to others" I reply with a forced laugh, nervously shuffling in my spot, umbrella tilting to lean against the table.

"Wait, woah, someone here did this to you?" He pursued, concern edging at his voice.

"They do it to me often because I stand up to them...but hey, I prefer it than someone else getting hurt" I laughed, smiling with the optimism that yes things do get better.

His face dropped.

'Dammit, not again. I said something wrong, didn't I? Who am I kidding, nobody wants damaged goods.'

JACK'S POV

I was shocked when she told me that. Who would ever want to hurt such a sweet young lady?

She seemed kind, friendly, funny, charismatic and a well mannered young woman.

'I think she's the one I will adopt. She seems perfect.'

CASSIES'S POV

Jack's features betrayed an upset, shocked expression when I told him that the girls here kick my ass on a regular basis-

He cleared his throat suddenly, drawing my attention back to crystal blue eyes.

"Anyway, would it be okay if I asked you some other questions?"

"Sure!" I giggled, relieved at the subject change.

He pursued questions about my interests in sports and music, as well as photography and videography.

"One last question" he spoke, jittery. "Would you like to be apart of my family?"

"That would be the most amazing thing ever" I all but screeched excitedly, subtly shaking because I was so goddamn overjoyed-

He smiled at me, excited, overwhelmed, joyful. The orphanage manager, Ms Bethany, walks groggily in, as usual in one of her moods and pretty much pulling the door off it's hinges with impatience.

"Are you ready for the next girl Mr Mcloughin?" The fake chitter cane. He smiled at me again, warmly.

"No, I think I would like to adopt Cassie."

I smiled my brightest smile, my heart thundering with the thought of being adopted, given a second chance, a family. He walked up and leaned over to me, a grin plastered on his face.

"Do you want to go get your things?" He laughed softly.

I nodded excitedly, ran up the stairs, with Lucia following closely on my heels in confusion and curiosity.

"Dude? What happened?" She speaks, hopeful.

"It happened! It happened Lu!!"

"YESSSS!" She screamed excitedly, jumping with me as I rushed to pack my things. "You needed the second chance."

"And remember, Lu, even if we seperate physically, family never truly leaves each other."