Chapter 1 : Truly Terrifying

//1 year ago//

It is truly terrifying. How life is changed in a single instant.

A mere 13 years old at the time. Barely entering my teenage years.

A stormy night, travelling through Ireland. Lucia, my best friend, my brother Jackson and I sit in the furthest seats of the mini bus, bumbling slowly along the wild road, visibility at a minimum. Our parents sit in the front seats, laughing at chatting. My Mother and Lucia's Mother are in a deep discussion about the itinerary starting from the moment we would finally arrive at the house they'd rented. My Father and Lucia's Father enjoy a hearty debate about Football.

The bus driver didn't see the speeding truck without headlights until it was too late.

The front of the bus was folded on impact, trapping us into the back with no way of escape.

I can't see. I can hear ringing. I'm falling unconscious, the last thing I see being a lifeless arm.

//

Sirens. Gasps of horror. More sirens. A helicopter hovers above. Am I flying?

Airlifted from what little remains of the bus, being told not to speak, not to move, "you're going to be alright sweetheart, just hold on."

Touchdown, the helicopter isn't flying, yet I'm moving again, the sound of small wheels before the elevator opens, bright lights blind me. The doors open once more, I'm rolled out and these are definitely hospital lights-

I slowly regained what was going on and what was around me, and why I was here. By this point, I was told, I'd been in and out of consciousness for numerous days due to the severe shock, exhaustion and a fresh diagnosis of heart arrhythmia.

I had deep stitches along my right arm, along the side of my torso, throughout my chest, and on my head, keeping intact a deep laceration to the side of my temple, underside my arms and across my damaged rib cage, a punctured lung accompanying after the struggle. I trembled violently, constantly.

'These injuries could have been so much worse, I should be thankful I'm even alive.'

I lay on my bed in the hospital room, eyes darkened and vacant, I struggle to comprehend the loss.

Lucia, Jackson and I were the only survivors. The lifeless arm ingrained in my mind was my Mothers.

I didn't realise I was struck in my anxiety attack until an oxygen mask was forcefully shoved onto my face, the nurse calmly trying to talk to me.

"I need m-my brother!! P-Please!! Jackson!! JACKSON!! LUCIA!!"

The needle goes in, the light fades. Back to sleep we go.

//

"Westmeath?" Lucia questioned, a stunned expression ghosting her features. "We're so far away, from where we were."

"Yes dear, we have the facilities for more extensive injuries" The nurse had smiled warmly, "just to make sure you ladies get the best care you can receive." Lucia had loved this nurses gorgeous Irish accent.

"What is going to happen to us?" I asked the nurse, watching and waiting intently for a reply while biting into soggy piece of toast, nausea consuming me as I force it down my throat. She seemed to pause for a moment, thinking as she adjusted the pads on my chest that would shock my heart if it fell out of rhythm again.

"You will be taken to the local orphanage and foster home as you're both underage. I have been informed by Jackson that you two have no extended family, and as for Lucia, we have tried to contact your Aunty. Please don't worry or be afraid, it's a really nice place, run by a kind couple" She replied, kindly. Lucia and I exchanged a glance.

The simple word 'orphanage' seemed to illicit a very similar reaction from both of us.

'Our lives just changed forever.'

//1 year later//

JACK'S POV

"*WHAPISH* TOP O THE MORNING TO YOU LADDIES MY NAME IS JACKSEPTICEYE AND TODAY, We are talking about a serious topic. Recently, I have contemplating about adopting a child, and I have decided after many visits the local facilities in my area, I am going to adopt them from a nearby orphanage. I really appreciate everyone of you beautiful people and hope that you will support me as I make such a step in my life."

I then went on to discuss a few more points of my decision, explaining why I wanted to get a child and gave a mini peep on what I the previous vacant room would look like before ending the video with my outro.

"Anyway, if you liked this video, PUNCH THAT LIKE BUTTON IN THE FACE, LIKE A BOSS! AND HI FIVES ALL AROUND *WHAPISH* *WHAPISH* AND I WILL SEE ALL YOU DUDES, IN THE NEXT VIDEO!" I screamed loudly.

I edit the video, which didn't take too long, and uploaded it a bit earlier, so I can head off to the orphanage.

I was ecstatic, I had made the video the day of.

'I am really excited to adopt a child, and to give someone a second chance at a life they may have missed out on.'

CASSIE's POV

We have been at this orphanage for a year now now.

1 whole year.

I share a dorm with numerous girls, most younger, and have a part-time position at a convenience store around the corner. I could not yet afford to attend school as the orphanage couldn't afford funding for proper education, so we conducted home schooling.

"Oi, leave her alone!" I called out, thick Australian accent, heading towards a group of girls.

These 3 b!tches, at my orphanage, Tiffany, Ruby and Ella, antagonise Jessica to no end.

'She didn't deserve the constant harassment.'

No matter how much we collectively try to stop them, they refuse, worsening each time. They think the have some sort of sick power to do what they please.

I stand between them in an attempt to stop the fight, confidently maintaining eye contact with all 3 girls. Without warning, Tiffany rears up her fist and punches me, feeling the pain shoot through my head as I fly into the splintered wooden floorboards, rubbing my right knee and glancing upward calmly.

Jessica pulls me to my feet unsteadily as the 3 girls waltz away, laughing hysterically like the psychopathic runts would.

I stand up and inspect the damage they have done to my head, unnervingly calm. They appear to have split the top of my eyebrow, reopening the scar from last time. My concern rests with my heart, however, as I place my hand over it's thunderous beating.

Calmly placing stere-strips and a small bandage over the split, I turned my ear up to listen to the announcement from downstairs, booming through the obnoxious speaker.

"Everyone who is between the age of 13-15, please begin to make your way to the interview room in 15 minutes."

There are few here between that age bracket, maybe for once I have a slim chance.

'Misplaced optimism.'

I all but hobbled back to my room momentarily, dressing into a blue fitted crop and high waisted black jeans, throwing a belt and Dr Martens on. I applied light, natural makeup and fashioned my brunette hair into a high-low messy bun. Grabbing my umbrella to hide the limp that often accompanied me, they don't need to know I'm always injured, I was ready to go for another interview.

I staggered back down and join the line of excited teenagers, nervously tapping my left foot, leaning heavily on my umbrella.

"Cassie? In you come."

'Oh God.'

"It's alright, go, you've got this" Lucia encourages me from the side of the line, guiding me gently towards the door.