Omega

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION - November 13th

10: 45AM

"Get 'em!!" Sportsmaster roared at the guards. "Savage wants the traitor's head!!"
Without another word, the guards immediately either ran at Artemis and Desmond, or aimed sleek, white laser guns at them. Both actions were incredibly menacing.
"Dad's mine." Artemis said to Desmond, still scowling at Sportsmaster.
Desmond nodded as he pulled her closer onto his hip before spinning around and throwing her at Sportsmaster like a shotput. When he had spun right around, Desmond slammed his fist into the metal floor, which sent a shockwave along the ground, knocking nearly all the guards onto their feet.
Those who didn't hit the ground and fall unconscious wished they did.
As soon as they levelled their guns at Desmond's head, Desmond was already slamming the backs of his fists into their helmets, filling the air with the sounds of breaking bones and shattered glass from visors.
The last two got away with less serious injuries, one was only knocked out, but the other was hit in the solar plexus with the butt of his own rifle, falling to the ground with a bout of coughing.
As Desmond beat down the soldiers below, Artemis was repeatedly attacking Sportsmaster with a flurry of jumping kicks, spinning kicks and knife-hand strikes, all combined with some merciless swats from her bow. She was able to do all of this while the two exchanged blows along the railing.
"Your balancing skills are a lot better, baby girl..." Sportsmaster half complimented and taunted. "I remember when you could barely sit properly on the arm of my couch!"
He blocked one of Artemis' blows, pushing her into an arm lock.
"I don't give a damn about your couch!" she spat at him.
She did a backflip, putting herself out of the lock and Sportsmaster onto his behind on the hard floor near them.
"Or you!" she added, shooting an arrow straight at his face.
The arrow unfurled in mid-air, turning itself into a lime green net that coiled around Sportsmaster and stuck him to the floor, making him grunt and fume with effort.
"I'm done here!" she called out to Desmond, ignoring Sportsmaster's angry groans of effort.
"So am I-"
But Desmond was suddenly knocked off of his feet by a large, surging blast of red energy, followed by an all too familiar, sadistic cackling.
"Well look who finally came back..." Klarion snickered.
Desmond growled with frustration as he got back onto his feet, the front of his outfit smelling of smoke.
"Klarion." Desmond said with contempt. "Surprise, surprise..."
"That's my line you dirty traitor!" Klarion snapped back. "And I was just starting to be able to tolerate you!"
Suddenly, Artemis shot an arrow that exploded close to Klarion's left side, blanketing the area around him in thick, burgundy red smoke.
"Damn you, you stupid archer!!" he cursed at Artemis.
With a flourish of a glowing hand, Klarion dispelled the smoke, but not before Desmond had lunged at him with his fists mercilessly connecting with Klarion's gaunt cheekbones.
Klarion growled angrily and threw up his palms to create a force field around himself before Desmond could attack again, but Desmond smashed straight through it like weak glass.
"What-?!" Klarion rolled along the floor with confusion, but as soon as he looked up, he saw Desmond's fingers covered in a smouldering, red light.
He had just mimicked Klarion's powers again.
"Got your powers!" Desmond taunted, throwing his hand up.
When he did, a group of red, hovering blades suddenly appeared above his head, glinting at Klarion so menacingly, he thought that they were actually sentient.
With a throw of his hand, Desmond brought the blades hurtling in Klarion's direction, filling the air with sharp, ear-piercing whistles.
But Klarion dodged out of the way, calling up his own projectiles as he held up his fingers like pistols.
"Light 'em up!" he laughed.
He began to copy the motions of a gun as the projectiles barrelled down on Desmond, making him jump and lunge out of the way.
"DESMOND!!" Artemis called out, still keeping an eye on her father.
But Desmond ignored her and kept dodging Klarion's assault, before he stopped and simply threw up a wall in front of himself.
"BORING!!" Klarion booed, a sinister smile growing on his face.
Desmond didn't like that smile, he had known it well the times he had seen it during his time with the Light. His contempt for the smile was realised when a red clamp suddenly shut itself on Artemis' leg, trapping her against the railing.
Before Desmond could react, Klarion had replenished his projectiles to even deadlier points and had turned himself around-
"ARTEMIS!!!" Desmond called out.
"Say goodbye, girlie..." Klarion cackled.
And then, the projectiles lashed out at her, barely a second away from stabbing her to death in the most brutal way possible.
Desmond quickly dispelled the wall in front of him and threw himself at her, his hand outstretched as if he were trying to grab her from a distance.
The projectiles were closing in as Desmond got closer, Klarion's grin got wider and Artemis's hands pulled themselves up over her face in fear.
And then, she was knocked straight off of the railing.
She hit the behind her hard as she fell off the railing, her whole back wracked with pain as she fell and the warm, wet sensation of blood falling onto her stomach and chest. She was afraid to open her eyes. What would she see? Her clothes covered in blood? A pool of dark red staining her body? Will the pain get worse as she looked upon the wounds?
"Artemis..?" Desmond's voice asked.
She went silent.
"Artemis..?" Desmond asked again, his voice sounding strained. "Are you alright?"
Her temptation getting the better of her, she opened her eyes slowly. When she opened them, she saw Desmond leaning over her, his hands on both sides of her head, like he had trapped her.
"Desmond?" she exclaimed. "Oh, thank god! I was so frightened!"
"No..." he laughed. "Just settle for thanking me..."
He suddenly made a weak smile and at that moment, Artemis realised something.
The blood wasn't hers...
Suddenly, Desmond coughed up blood all over the floor next to her and fell onto his side, with three, bright red spikes sticking out of his bleeding back.
"DESMOND!!!" Artemis screamed out and turned over to face him.
But Desmond held out a hand, his heavy pants becoming louder.
"It's OK..." he said. "The healing should kick in any moment..."
Artemis scrambled onto the floor and reached over to Desmond's back and began to pull the spikes out, to worried about the situation to do it gently.
Desmond made several loud grunts of pain as they fell to the floor and disappeared into smoke.
"Sorry..." she apologised worriedly.
But as she looked back into Desmond's face, she noticed his eyes changing colour. His normal, dark brown eyes were slowly turning a bright, sinister golden yellow.
"Desmond..?" she asked, her fear intensifying as she looked into his eyes. "What's going on?"
But Desmond was already getting to his feet, his eyes now flowing with a dark determination.
"Did you seal any doors on your way down here?" he asked.
"No." Artemis replied quickly, unnerved by his dark tone.
"Then I want you to find the nearest one and get out of here. Shut every door behind you..."
He scowled at the smirking Klarion below them.
"You're not going to want to be around for what I do next..."
Artemis opened her mouth to speak, but suddenly, a red beam shot out from Desmond's fist and sent her and Sportsmaster sliding out of the hangar door behind them.
"What the-?!" she exclaimed. "Desmond?!"
"That's an order Artemis." he said firmly.
As Artemis began to stand up and grab Sportsmaster's net, she took the liberty of punching in a panel next to the wall, which immediately made the door close itself quickly with a chorus of flashing lights and door alarms.
When he was certain that Artemis was safe, the remaining amusement was stripped from his face as he front flipped off the platform, landing a few feet from Klarion, whose sadistic smile began to recede.
"The last time I felt this sensation Klarion, was the day that I nearly killed the whole Injustice League singlehandedly..."
Klarion simply stood there with his arms folded, staring at Desmond with apathy. He put on a tough face, but Desmond could see a twinge of fear in Klarion's dark eyes.
"Savage was nearby when it happened." Desmond explained. "And the surge of energy died down when he handed me one of those Boom Tube Boxes. But when he activated it the first time, before he gave it to me, it's what put me into the trance."
As Desmond got closer and his explanation deeper, Klarion began to take a small step back.
"On and off by the same device." Desmond almost laughed. "Like a switch. Which got me thinking: Why on Earth would Meta-Human DNA respond and connect to alien technology? Then I realised, what if the Parasite DNA was not ACTUALLY from Parasite?"
Klarion looked at him with alarm.
"You work closely with Savage, Klarion. Was that actually an alien replica of Parasite that attacked me in Happy Harbour?"
Klarion swallowed nervously. This was completely out of character for him.
"Every clue I followed in Savage's files ended with one name: The Reach."
Klarion's fear turned into an angry scowl.
"Who are 'the Reach', Klarion?!"
Klarion didn't answer, which made Desmond lunge forward and grab him by his collar-

But all he caught was empty air.
Desmond pulled his hand back and realised why Klarion didn't attack him and Artemis before, or stop them from trying to escape. Because while Desmond recovered from Klarion's attack, he slipped away and left a projection in his place!
"Dammit!" Desmond yelled, slamming his fist against the shelf of boxes next to him.
When Desmond pulled his hand away, he saw one of the Boom Tube Boxes shining back at him. Desmond pulled the box out and held in his hands, staring at it like an adult who had re-discovered a toy from his childhood.
"What are you?" he asked it. "What am I?"
He waited, as if expecting a response from it, but soon scoffed and threw the Box, which clattered onto the floor as Desmond walked away.
And hummed to life.
When Desmond turned around, he saw a large, blindingly bright portal staring back at him, a portal even bigger than the ones Desmond had seen before.
But it wasn't the size of the portal that unnerved him, it was the thing staring back.
Every last limb and organ in Desmond's body turned froze with fear as he held the gaze. He couldn't tell what the figure looked like, but it was tall and muscular, a build that made Savage look like an ant in comparison. This silhouette was terrifying, but the smouldering, crimson red eyes that stared back were far worse, eyes that had no mercy and dripped with contempt for everything they saw.
Every second Desmond stared into those pitiless, blood-red eyes made him feel more and more like he was staring into the face of true evil.
Then it began laughing. A cold, evil laughter that chilled Desmond's already cold blood to the point of fragility.
And without another word, the portal began to close. As it did, and the figure stepped back curtly, Desmond saw a symbol glowing on it's chest, a symbol from Earth:
The symbol of 'Omega'.
After what seemed like an eternity, the portal closed and left the room empty, except for the echoing laughter and the crushing feeling of Desmond's fear.
He fell to his knees, his brow dripping with sweat. He knew, he knew that what he just saw was an alien and a horrific, evil one at that.

Before he knew it, Desmond had started out of the hangar door, hurriedly waving his hand in the direction of the hovering Bio-Ship. Before he boarded, he took one last, quick look at the facility. And immediately, he knew that he never wanted to go back there.
"Who was that..?" he asked himself as he sat behind Zatanna's chair.
But he knew that he may never know who that figure was and that if he did, he may not like the answer...

Desmond has uncovered the name of the Light's mysterious partners?!
The DNA that gave him his powers is actually alien?!
A frightening figure appears before Desmond in a portal?! 
Who was the mysterious figure?
Will Desmond tell the Team or the Justice League about the Light's partners?
With only ONE more chapter to go until The Mimic Contingency's conclusion, how will the last chapter affect the bonds between Desmond and the Team?!

Find out in the next chapter! :D
Be sure to vote if you enjoyed the chapter and comment your thoughts so far! :D
Who do YOU think the figure in the portal was? 

- Kai-Shiro :D