A Mission With Zatanna - Part II

New Orleans, Louisiana - August 1st

11:52PM

"Gross!" Desmond exclaimed loudly.
Desmond could feel the cold murk of the bayou slowly eating away at his clothes and boots, as well as the growing realisation that he would need of several hundred showers after this mission.
"Batman is so getting the cleaning bill..." he thought to himself.
Zatanna was walking in front of him, her clothes as dirty as his, but she didn't seem to mind.
"You know..." Desmond began. "With you being a magician and all, can't you levitate us off of the ground or something..?"
Zatanna looked back at him and shook her head, flicking her ebony locks back and forth.
"We'd probably get caught." She said. "Besides, it's a recon mission. We will need to be as stealthy as we can."
Desmond groaned, just as he stepped in an even deeper patch of mud.
"Great..." he muttered to himself, flicking the murk off of his hands.
"Just try to bear with it a little longer..." Zatanna told him.
Desmond knew that he couldn't. They had investigated all of the areas of interest for the mission and had found nothing. They were running out of time before the next deal like Desmond was running out of clean patches of his clothes.
In a few minutes, they reached a small grassland. The area was humid and covered in pale yellow patches of dead grass and trees, but it was dry.
That was all Desmond cared about for the moment.
Zatanna suddenly threw her hands out and looked at her clothes.
"Naelc!"
Suddenly, her clothes were cleaned of mud, right down to the fibres. She quickly did the same to Desmond, cleaning his clothes even quicker, but suddenly threw her hand up near Desmond's face.
"Stop." She ordered firmly.
Desmond didn't know what she was talking about, but she pointed towards a small collection of rotting, wooden huts that had the tell-tale glow of fire emanating from the windows.
But even more noticeable, the men who were carrying enough guns to start a small war.
"My god..." Desmond muttered quietly.
He looked around the area for someone who looked like they might be in charge, until his eyes caught someone moving among the men.
He was a tall and thin, almost lanky black man dressed head to in gaudy clothes. He wore a tall top hat, which had several small black and red feathers protruding from the band around it. This messy choice of headwear was contrasted by his fine suit, which consisted of a white, double breasted tuxedo vest and even whiter formal pants and sneakers.
He walked around with a goofy, silver-toothed (literally, he had three silver teeth) grin, like he was about to cash in BIG.
"I'm guessing that's Dr. Reilicaf?"
"You'd be correct." A childish voice said behind them.
Both Desmond and Zatanna spun around, but it was too late.
A gigantic, crimson beam of energy flew through the air and coiled quickly around both of them like chains.
A figure emerged from the bushes behind them, one that made Zatanna nearly growl with rage.
"Klarion..." she spat.
"Hello child..." Klarion cackled. "Where's your dear daddy? Wasn't brave enough to face me? Or is he still stuck with Nabu?"
Zatanna growled and squirmed inside the coil as Klarion looked towards Desmond.
"Wait a minute..." he said, almost worriedly. "I know you..."
With a click of his sharp fingernails, Desmond flew through the air until he was inches from Klarion's face.
"You're that brat who kicked Sportsmaster around..."
"If you let me down," Desmond scoffed. "I can also be the guy who kicks YOU around..."
Klarion growled angrily and punched Desmond in the face with a fist of energy.
"No-one talks back to me!!" he yelled. "NO-ONE!!"
Desmond groaned as armed soldiers appeared from behind Klarion.
"Took you long enough, Reilicaf..." Klarion said impatiently.
Reilicaf inclined his head respectfully towards Klarion.
"My apologies, Monsieur Klarion..." he said with a slight accent.
Klarion shrugged with indifference and shot a current of energy through Zatanna and Desmond's crimson chains, making them both yell in pain before losing consciousness.
"Get rid of them..." Klarion ordered.
Before Desmond completely lost consciousness, he saw a white truck pulling up as Reilicaf wrapped metal chains around him...

CAPTURED!! :O
Now that they have been caught by Klarion, what are Desmond and Zatanna going to do?! Are they going to be able to escape?! Will they be able to defeat Klarion and Reilicaf?! Or will this be the time that Klarion wins against the Young Justice..?

Find out on the next chapter!! :D

- Kai-Shiro :D