The Ballad Of Mona Lisa~Chapter Seven: I'd Pay To See You Frown

The funeral was almost oddly cheerful. The place was modern and filled with paintings. Guests mingled and drank, as if it was just another social event. Mona Lisa was not amused by this, and Esteban busied himself by insulting anybody that wasn't mourning. Remus watched Mary. Mary fearfully took care of her former dead fiancee.

Luer was trying to swoon the all of the pretty things. He was doing a decent job, as well. Maybe not enough to keep them awhile, but long enough. Mona Lisa heard him tell tales from his raunchy past. Esteban dismissed this with an audible click.

If you looked closely enough, you could see Brendon's spirit in the crowd. Nobody, except Remus, noticed. Remus thought Brendon seemed pleased enough being dead.

Remus finally went up to Mary after she joined back with the guests. She was more at ease now. "Mary."

Mary's fear reappeared. "Remus."

"You look nice. Flattering shade of rouge."

"Oh, Remus," Mary said. This was the boy she once loved. The man he was now was perfect. "Isn't it a shame about... Brendon."

"Well practiced, darling."

Mary rested a hand on Remus's arm. "I'm truly sorry. About the whole ordeal. Not this one, but years ago..."

"Apology accepted."

Mona Lisa caught only the 'Apology accepted.' Remus was talking to Mary as a true gentleman. As the two became engaged in their conversation, Mona had a bad feeling settle in her core.

When Mary embraced Remus, Mona Lisa had it. She went to Esteban, who was about to lose it with all of the disrespect. "Esteban. Look."

Esteban was appalled. "He didn't. He isn't."

Mona had another vision.

"Mary did it," one ghostly man insisted.

"His spirit will have to write it across the wall before anybody believes," the other claimed.

"The note in his case should do it."

"Mona Lisa?" Esteban tested.

"Oh."

People were now crowding near the body. Brendon's spirit was standing right next to his body. Mona boldly pushed through the crowd. She fumbled through Brendon's belonging and finally found a slip of paper. She opened it and held it proudly.

Mary did it.

Mary tried to flee. The guests were on her like flies on fly paper. Luer had his net gun and trapped Mary. Mary was shocked that Luer turned on her. When she searched for Remus, he had disappeared. Dammit. Everybody failed her.

Mary rarely frowned. She may not be smiling all of the time, but she usually had her poker face on. It was one of those times in which she frowned.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Mona Lisa and Esteban felt as if they had a load taken off of them. "Well, you did it," congratulated Esteban.

"We all did," Mona Lisa corrected. She then noticed Brendon's spirit smiling right at her.

"Thank you, Mona Lisa."

"Brendon, I wish I hadn't ditched you like I did."

"Not a problem."

"Say what you mean, tell me I'm right, and let the sun rain down on me. Give me a sign, I want to believe."

"Mona Lisa, you're guaranteed to run this town. Mona Lisa, I'd pay to see you frown."

Esteban witnessed this, awed. "Hi, Brendon."

Brendon smiled and waved, then walked by the fire. "There's nothing wrong with just a taste of what you've paid for." He motioned to another paper on the windowsill. Brendon vanished in peace.

Mona Lisa walked over to where Brendon once was. She knew it was a will. She read it. All for her, Esteban, and Lady Urie. Mona Lisa peered out the window. Remus had ditched them, most likely for Mary.

Esteban read her thoughts. He shrugged, even though he was troubled by this. "Mary really did it."