Even the Skies

I was clad in a beautiful red lehenga, with gold patterns, and a red chiffon Dupatta covering my head. My makeup looked simple, however looked elegant, and I couldn't recognize myself. 

My engagement ring was shining brightly against my henna claden fingers, along with the rest of my jewelry. Yet my face, my face had a glow, a smile that I had never known of before.

I was getting married, in the social, cultural sense today. Tonight was the night that I would be stepping into my husband's penthouse, as his wife, his confidante.  My heart ran as I thought of the new journey that started today. I tried to calm myself, I was somewhat already accustomed to this relation, to this new journey. The Nikah was a week ago, so technically Rehan was my husband for a week.

However, this just made it all real. I was officially part of another family. I needed to, was expected to hold 2 families and balance my married life, all in one lifetime. I had to balance my work, my relations, my emotions, and others' as well. Everything was about to change.

I just hoped that I didn't have to change. 

And if I did, it was for the better.

My thoughts were broken as once again, the loud snap of the Canon camera rang against the walls of the bridal room, and I tried not to flinch at the bright flash.

I kept my smile up, thinking of all the bright memories had made, because of this wedding. I had gotten to know Rehan a little better, after the Nikah and my feelings for him had intensified into a huge, huge crush. I would get butterflies every time he tried to talk to me and my cheeks would turn into tomatoes. I would blush at the smallest of things, and notice the smallest of things. I had noticed that he had a very tiny, tiny birthmark on his left hand, right above his ring finger and another on his right hand, knuckles. I could now call myself a stalker, one who stalks her own husband, because of my incessant noticing little things about him.

I realized that Rehan smiled very rarely, I had only seen that precious dimple twice, once after the Nikah and when Zaki fed him some sweets in one of the Rasams. (cultural traditions)

And now we were to finally be married, culturally, religiously, and legally. 

I still, still had my doubts about this new family, and my new husband. No doubt that they were good people, but one could never be sure these days. People turned to the other side for their own gain, and I didn't know whether I could handle that betrayal, if I was going to get one.

Again, like always, my thoughts were broken and it was time for the ladies to enter, including me. My bridesmaids, my lovely, lovely cousins and friends entered first, and then it was my turn, alongside Ammi, Azhar Bhai on one arm, and Ammi on the other arm. Fatima stood next to Ammi, and Asfia Bhabi stood next to Azhar Bhai, baby on one arm, smiling at the flashing lights.

It was showtime.

This time, the song was Tum Jo Aaye. 

As I kept my head down and walked slowly, still shying away from the people gathering and standing up to see me, I heard the lyrics.

"Zindagi bewaafa hai, yeh maana magar..

Chod kar raah me jaaoge tum agar,

Cheen launga main asmaan se tumhe"

This life is unfaithful, yet if you leave me on the path (of life), I'll bring you back, even from the skies. 

My heart reached the sky as I struggled to keep my smile at bay. This man would ruin me, I thought as I slowly lifted my eyes to meet his, at the stage. I had gotten to know, yesterday, that he chose the song list for the day. His gestures touched my heart, like no other. 

This song, was of his choice, and even though I didn't want to think too much into it, I couldn't help but let my heart flutter at his choice. His eyes met mine, and just like yesterday, a jolt of bigger, more butterflies hit my stomach and I was helped up the stairs and my hand, was placed in his, and my cheeks, if possible turned even more redder. 

This time, a bigger smile was etched onto his face, his dimple peeking out. I relished the feeling of my hand in his, as he helped me up the rest of the stairs and we stood for the photographers, relishing in our own glory. 

My fingers were delicately intertwined with in his big hands, and the henna shown as a beautiful contrast to his large tanned fingers. We were told to hold up our hands, as if we were in a dancing position, and I finally gained the courage to look up at him again, my eyes melting into his emerald eyes. It felt as if time had stopped for a moment, just to take a look at us, and r=live this very moment with us. Our fingers fit like a jigsaw, and I was surprised to find how perfect they looked.

His graceful features danced over my face, and then downwards, as he slowly angled his head so only I could here, yet it didn't look conspicuous.

"You look absolutely beautiful." He whispered in a husky voice, and my stomach dropped at his words, as a blush rose up to my cheeks again.

It felt like that was the only thing I had been doing, ever since I met him.

"Thank you, you too." I said back, as lowly as possible and suddenly he chuckled.

"I look beautiful?" My mouth opened, as  I gaped like a fish.

"I-umm- no.. I mean, yes, but.. um.. handsome, yeah that's what I mean." I stuttered, come on Aliyah, you are a resident, you talk to strangers all day, everyday, then why are you stuttering like a shy little girl in front of your husband?

Oh, maybe because you are newly-married and mostly everyone gets shy, when they are new to someone else. My inner mind rolled its eyes at me, like the grandmother it was. 

He smirked at me, making me scowl. 

This was going to be a long, but beautiful night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASSALAM ALAIKUM!!!

Finally, edited!! Ahh, the first one from two years ago was so, so cringy, I can't believe I wrote it! But like this one is too.. please don't mind? :))

Keep us all in your Duas,

-------Mannat <3