Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Oh, come on, Aiden. You can't have expected us not to have found out. Everyone knows. And I mean everyone. How could we not with you all cozy with her against the lockers yesterday and that fight with Rutherford. And how she was sobbing cause you were hurt and taking care of you with the damn frozen peas. Like I didn't notice the way she looked at you in just your boxers in the pool, and you looking at her in her bikini? The way you defend her and attacked Rutherford once again today? How long did you think you could keep it a secret anyhow?" She said.

"I-" I started.

"It's okay, dude. We support you. Obviously she can't be as bad as we previously thought if she's got you, probably the pickiest guy alive," Simon said, coming to stand next to me and slapping me on the back.

"Okay," I said, starting to walk away to the light and sound booth.

I needed a few moments to myself to think, that's for sure.

I sat in one of those spinning chairs over behind the sound board and looked out to where Ashley was still on stage. I guess it really wasn't much of a stretch for people to think I had feelings for her. After all, we had been getting closer lately and around each other more. And I had found myself defending her quite a few times. Not to mention the whole Rutherford thing...

Like I said, not much of a stretch to come to this conclusion.

Part of me was still a little confused. Another part of me was relieved that they hadn't exactly hit the nail on the head here. It was a relief.

I swiveled around in the chair, facing back to where Nikki and Simon stood, both still talking. I examined Simon in his form-fitted t-shirt. I remembered the many times I had woken up to find him shirtless after crashing at either his or my own house. Him walking out of the shower a few times...I snapped myself out of it as quickly as I could and swiveled my chair around some more. Where my gaze landed upon Caleb. He had his muscular looking arms crossed across his chest. He wore his mysterious look, as usual. And once he noticed me looking at him, he winked and I remembered that I still had to talk to him. But that could wait for a moment. In this instant, I swiveled back to the stage where Ashley was rehearsing the getaway scene of Elphaba, AKA Sam's character.

My eyes flicked across her face. From her light, open blue eyes to her lips. Could I? Was it possible?

I didn't know.

I had not too long ago thought it was guys all the way for me. That had been my explanation for never really being into a girl, never really going for one. But now this.

Everyone already thought I was in love with her.

But was I? Obviously not.

But could I be?

That's when I heard a throat clear from behind me. "She is kind of sexy. Does she turn you on, pretty boy?'

I tensed. He grabbed the back of my chair and turned it slightly, and then he sat in the chair next to me, leaning forward, elbows on the knees of his black jeans.

"I hear you two little birds are in love, head over heels. It will be a great wedding, I'm sure," Caleb said, his eyes seeming to snicker at me.

"What do you know?" I said defensively, turning my chair back to face the sound board.

"I know that little miss blonde-and-in-charge-cleavage over there doesn't really do it for you," He said.

I looked over at Ashley. As if just looking at her could prove him wrong.

"Not like I can," He said, his hand on my leg.

I nearly jumped out of the chair. I looked around quickly but no one seemed to be looking our way.

"Or maybe she does," He said in a snide way, removing his hand.

I turned to glare at him.

"You don't know shit," I mentioned.

He shrugged, "Maybe I don't. Maybe I do. Since when in the hell would that matter anyway?"

He leaned back in his chair, a resigned look on his face.

'What did you want to talk about anyway, pretty boy?" He asked.

I tried to remember. And then I did.

"Aiden?" A soft voice said.

I looked over to see Ashley, who was now off the stage and practically leaning over into the tech crew booth.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Can I talk to you?" She asked.

"Yeah, sure," I said, distractedly.

"Alone?" She pleaded, glancing over at Caleb.

I looked over at Caleb too.

"Oh, don't mind me. I'm not important," He said flatly.

Then he got up and started to head out.

"Remember what I said," He said curtly to me.

After winking at Ashley, he left.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well...I'm sure you've heard by now...the rumors," She said.

I nodded. "Yeah, about that," I started.

"I totally understand that you're most likely upset. I mean, I know there's no chance that...." She trailed off.

"No chance of what?" I asked, standing and taking her hand.

Her blue eyes looked confused and almost upset.

"That a great guy like you could like me," She said.

I almost scoffed. "I'm not that great," I insisted.

She looked at me. I mean, really looked at me.

"No one has ever stood up for me the way you have. No one has ever believed in me like you seem to," She said quietly.

I had only seen Ashley Blake look vulnerable a handful of times in my life. And they had all occurred this past month. This was one of those times.

I stood up and brought my face close to hers.

"Ashley," I said slowly, taking my time and staring at her face, right into her eyes.

"Yes," She said.

"I'm going to kiss you now, okay?"

"Okay."

And so I did what any self-respecting maybe straight guy might do...I kissed her.