Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Alec POV

The muted thump of the last moving box, that landed on the floor, caught her attention. She turned around and studied me, as if she was second guessing her choice to bring me here.

"Good. You're all done," she turned her back on me, staring intently out of the window. Her black hair played in the sunlight and my eyes focused for a moment on her delicate wrists.

"You know that this will be difficult...," she continued to stare out of the window. "You are going to have to win her trust, if you're going to be her mentor."

"I know I will, we've talked about this. You know I'm ready for it," I walked towards her as I spoke, gravitating towards her like she was the sun in my solar system.

She turned around to face me, placing her hand on my chest and stopping me from closing the distance between us.

"Alec this is not a good idea," she turned her head away from me, as if to hide the emotions playing across it, "besides, now that you are starting on your mission it's best if we both just focus on that."

"Why? Rose, I don't get it...," my chest was pushing against her hand, wanting to get closer to her. My mind was reeling, I couldn't understand why she kept pushing me away. Frustration rushed through my body. Why did my mission change anything? Why couldn't we just be going on as we had?

"It's going to change. You don't understand...," she stepped around me and headed towards the door.

As she was heading for the stairs she said quietly over her shoulder, "The bonding ceremony will change everything."

I could hear her unpacking downstairs but after our conversation, I had no desire to hurry down and help her. I found myself standing at her spot by the window, staring down on the neighbouring house. As I looked at the white house, a girl stepped out of the front door and onto the veranda. Her brown hair looked slightly damp, presumably from her morning shower and she was pulling it up in a quick ponytail. I could feel my eyes focus in on her face, each freckle on her cheeks and the small flex of grey in her dark blue eyes pulled me in. Each tiny feature of this girl increased my focus on her. As I studied her, I felt a thrill go through my body. So this is the girl, the one that I needed to help. I needed her to trust me if we were going to get through this.

As I watched her, an old school mustang pulled up in front of her house with its top down. An athletic looking guy with brown hair waved at her. She jumped the stairs of the veranda and got into the car. She gave him a quick kiss as he turned the car out from the curb and drove off. As it turned the corner at the end of the street, I noticed that I had been clenching my fists. This could be a problem...

"So, you have spotted her?" Rose's voice broke the silence and forced my gaze away from the corner of the street where the car had vanished.

"Yes, I've seen her..." I didn't really see what the point of this question was. Of course I would have to see her. She was the whole point of us moving to this town.

Rose sighed and sat down on one of the unopened boxes. "They sent me here with you because I know you better than anyone else but I also know what it's like to be a mentor. So just try to take on my advice, okay?"

I nodded and waited for her to continue.

Rose's face took on a focused look as she stared back at me, "You need to get to know her well and win her trust. When she starts changing she'll need us. She'll be very exposed at that time and it's your job to keep her safe. It's also your job to make sure that the bonding ceremony takes place as soon as possible after the change."