[ Chapter 1 ]

I stumbled down the dark street of Hampton and Hennessey as I unraveled my long black hair from its tight bun, letting it cascade down my back as I gasped at the feel of air touching my scalp after a eight hour shift at the daycare and nine hour shift at the restaurant.

I turned towards the sanctuary that most the homeless people here call home. I quickly but quietly walked past the warm bonfire in the middle of the area, smiling as I reached the gate. Jumping as a loud crash echoed through the air, I slowly turned around and let out a smile when Frank the Hobo emerged from the dark hugging his black cat Daisy. "Frank, don't do that!" He looked up from Daisy and smiled his grin that was missing a few teeth before apologizing.

"Sorry, daisy jumped onto the top of the garbage can."

"Do you need me to bring you anything?" I leaned against the gate.

"You've done enough for us here Skylar, I still have yet to thank you for getting us those donations of mattresses and blankets." He whispered.

"No problem Frank, you guys wouldn't have survived without them. Now go to bed, it's late." I waved him off as I ran towards my house. Two more blocks. I turned the corner and sighed as I thought about my walk home.

As I neared my apartment complex as I heard struggling coming from the alley. I tried to walk past, only for my motherly instincts to kick into play as I heard two simple words, 'Help me' escape a mans mouth in a scratchy way.

Maybe this guy really needed help.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I saw two men standing in the shadows above one who seemed to be kneeling. He was praying as one of the men pointed a gun to his head. No fucking way. I tried to move, but my feet felt like cement as I softly screamed as the man fell limp as his body leaned forward and his head made a thud noise as it hit the floor.

I wanted to run, I did, so I wouldn't be next.

But my feet weren't having it. My breath hitched as I looked up from my small feet to come in contact with two pairs of eyes, one blue and one gray.

----
I've always wanted to write a mafia book.. This is my first story, but I'll try.