Chapter Three

Emily stood at the back of the yoga classroom, pretending to rifle through her bag while stealing quick glances in every direction. Raine wasn't there yet, at least not that she could see. In a way, she was relieved.

She had gotten as far as adding his number to her phone yesterday. In a moment of weakness, she'd even started writing him a text. After typing and deleting five versions of a casual hello, her good sense had taken over and she had stopped.

Okay. So the real reason Emily had stopped had been a text from Wally telling her he'd decorated Wally Hood Goes Hollywood with "Celeb Wore Wha-a-a-t?" background wallpaper that would stay up until after the column launched. She'd taken one look at her name splashed all over the site in screaming neon pink lettering and had put her phone away.

Emily pushed her bag strap back up onto her shoulder and made her way to an empty spot close to the front of the room, where she rolled out her yoga mat and sat down. She stretched her legs in front of her and reached over to grab her toes, letting her head fall forward and her eyes close. For a few minutes, at least, she could tune out everyone around her and just breathe.

Her serenity lasted for about thirty seconds.

"I got my ticket to Sugarpop!" she heard Kami squeal from close by. It was nearly impossible to block out her voice since it carried like a megaphone.

"No way!" another female voice exclaimed. "Aren't those tickets, like, a thousand dollars or something?"

"Free for me," Kami sang. "Sponsored. They want me there."

"You are so lucky!" The woman talking sounded awestruck. "Aren't there always so many celebrities at that?"

"There were tons last year when I went," Kami said. "I lost count of them all. Hey, I wonder if Raine's going. I should ask him."

"Maybe you could go together." There was a chorus of female giggles.

Sugarpop was an event held every year at a swanky Bel-Air mansion, where there were live bands, an open bar, and a dress code that required the women attending to wear only lingerie. Stories of celebrity hookups and bad behavior at Sugarpop always found their way into the tabloids, or so Emily gathered from all the times Shelby had attempted to tell her about something scandalous that had happened there.

Emily tried not to shake her head at the thought of Kami parading around, drink in hand and her celebrity antennae up, wearing even less clothing and more makeup than she did in class. She closed her eyes and focused on stretching, ignoring the sound of a yoga mat hitting the floor beside her.

"Good morning, ladies," a familiar voice said.

Emily's eyes flew open. She looked up and saw Raine smiling at her.

"Good morning," Kami cooed, waving at Raine from where she sat in the front row. "Don't you want to sit in your spot? I saved it for you." She patted the space on the floor beside her, where she'd put her enormous Kate Spade shoulder bag.

Raine turned his head to look at Kami. "Oh, hey. I didn't see that before putting my stuff down. Thanks. I'm good over here today."

Kami gave him a funny look. "I always save your spot. Are you okay?"

Raine laughed. Emily couldn't tell if it was a real laugh or just some admirable acting.

"Just a little fuzzy this morning," he told Kami. "I only slept for about an hour or so last night."

Emily studied his face. Either he was making that up, or he looked incredibly good on an hour's sleep. There wasn't a hint of puffiness under his eyes, and he definitely didn't look tired.