The doctor spent an hour with them going over the various options. He provided them with pamphlets and literature to read as they made their decision. Later that day Eddie would have a second mammogram, this time of her right breast. She wanted to cry but held it in. Jamie was still pale as a ghost, she had to be strong for him.

When the doctor left, Jamie looked at her. "I think I'm going to call my dad and ask him to bring the kids."

"I want to hold my babies," Eddie replied smiling. "And I think we need to tell your dad first. While I play with the kids you can tell him. We'll tell the rest of the family later but your Dad has the right to know."

Jamie agreed and stepped out to call his father giving Eddie a few minutes alone. The impact of the news had not yet sunk in. She was so worried about Jamie and telling her children she didn't have time to feel it. She was scared but she know that she was going to have to be strong if she was going to live.

Frank was waiting by the phone for Jamie's call. He had kept the kids busy for the morning but both were constantly asking about their mom. "Jamie, how is she?"

"She's a little better, her fever is down. She is ready to see the kids and you and I have to have a talk." Frank could tell by the pain in Jamie's voice that the news was not good and the talk he'd have with his youngest would not be easy.

"We'll be there in an hour."

Frank clapped his hands, "Okay, that was just your Daddy on the phone and your Mom can have visitors so let's wash our hands and faces, get our shoes and stop by the deli to get her something good to eat."

Frank stopped by Eddie's favorite Polish deli for potato pancakes and ham sandwiches. "Joey, hold Lila's hand when we go into the hospital so she doesn't run. Don't get on Mommy's bed until you are asked, she is still sick and she's sore so wait for Daddy to put you on."

Both children nodded, and Frank marveled at how disciplined they were.

Just about an hour later they arrived at the hospital. Joey held his sister tight as they entered Eddie's room. Their Mommy looked scary. She had tubes in her arms and her face was white like her sheets. Still she smiled, "Come here, let me see you." She reached out both arms though her left less than her right. Lila ran up to her and Jamie put her on the bed. She settled right in beside her mother. Eddie cuddled Lila then looked at her son, "Come on Joey, there's nothing to be afraid of sweet boy."

Joey began to cry and turned to run from the hospital room. Jamie took off after him catching him with little effort. "Joey, come on little man. Your Mommy wants to see you. What's wrong?"

"I don't want Mommy to be sick. I heard Aunt Linda and Uncle Danny talking today with Grandpa that Mommy might be sick and I don't want her to be!" Lila had inherited all of her mother's charms while Joey had surely gotten the Reagan temper.

"I don't either, Buddy," Jamie replied. "But we have to love her anyway, we have to love Mommy so much more now than we ever did before. You know why?"

Joey shook his head, Jamie dropped to one knee. "Because love is the best, strongest medicine there is in the entire wide world."

Joey smiled, "I love Mommy a whole lot!"

"Then let's go show her, it's okay to be scared and if you want to cry, that's okay too. Be gentle when you hug her."

Jamie walked Joey back into the room. His son went to the bed, "Can I climb on?" Eddie patted a space beside her. Joey promptly occupied the space and laid his head on her leg, "I love you mommy."

"I love you too, let's play a game..."

Jamie looked at Frank and motioned for him to join him in the hall.

Father and son walked around the ward, "So, the doctor was in earlier and it's bad news. She has a stage 3C breast cancer and needs surgery as soon as she's strong enough."

Frank's heart froze in his chest. "Your Mom, she had uh, stage 2 when they found it."

"I know Dad. I know what this means. Eddie is going to have to fight for her life, she's going to need me to do it. I don't have older kids..."

"Jamie, don't go there yet. You have a support system. I'm here, Danny and Linda are right down the street in Staten Island. Sean is a med student, he can offer all kinds of support and you've got a solid partner."

"Gordo called twice already but I didn't call him back. I just texted him and the Captain that I had a family emergency and needed a few days personal. I didn't give them a choice," Jamie sighed. He might be in trouble for this.

"Talk to your partner, Jamie. For now, what is the plan?"

"Surgery when she's strong enough, and looking at her now I have no idea when that will be. She's been so weak, she's pushing for the kids and even for me. When the doctor told us, I lost it. Eddie had to ask him to leave the room."

Frank sighed, "Jamie, you have to be strong for her. This is going to be hell on earth for you both, and I do understand your fear. She can't do it alone no matter how tough she is. You be her rock and I'll be yours."

Jamie nodded and looked up at his father's face, "I'm scared, Dad. I'm really scared."

Frank reached out and took Jamie into his arms. When he had this particular look he was still a little boy. He held him tight, "I know you are. We'll get through it, Jamie. One way or another we will get through this."

Next in Tough: Jamie and Eddie talk to their kids and discuss her options. The Reagan siblings learn about Eddie's situation. Jamie suggests Eddie call her dad.