Chapter Fifty-Four ۞ Bound by Oaths

Start from the beginning

She did not listen.

"So your name is Red?" Gavin said. "That is quite suiting."

"I don't need any compliments from you nobles."

"Shut it." Corvan's voice reverberated.

"The least you can be is be civilized and at least show a little respect, milady." Gavin said.

"Respect is earned! It does not come in package with your birth and position!" She exclaimed.

Valeriana smiled. "I like this girl!" She jumped and made her way over to her. "High five! I so agree with that!"

She held her hand out for that before realizing the other girl was all tied up. She backed away slowly, somewhat embarrassed, especially since they were giving her weird looks.

"Um . . . sorry. Okay. Continue."

"That is hardly what I mean to say." Gavin added. "Position and birth hardly matters here. We are just humble travelers seeking out a goal."

Corvan chose the moment to speak once again. "Even if it is so, you attacked us first, attempted to inflict harm upon my group. I do not give a damn if you think respect is earned but you are in no position to spout such nonsense when you yourself have no sense of respect for the innocent who do not deserve your actions!"

"Well, what do you know about us, oh great one?" Red taunted. "You talk as if you know everything! We don't 'just attack the innocent' if that's what you think we do. We target them. Our victims all deserve our actions! They're hardly innocent at all!"

"Red!" Khalil exclaimed. "You bigmouth! Shut it at once!"

"So you guys are like those vigilantes who takes justice into their own hands, huh?" Valeriana concluded. "That must mean you planned to attack us?"

"Precisely correct." Red told her.

"You say you targeted us on purpose. Why and how did you know we would be out here?"

"An inside job! That should be it!" Valeriana firmly asserted. "I mean, how else would they know?"

"It is plausible. Espionage is the most possible way." Gavin said.

Khalil, their other captive, seemed absolutely on the edge. He looked beyond ready to kill himself with the way things were going. This girl Red sure had a big mouth, with just a few words, she revealed a lot.

"And it makes sense . . ." Gavin thought.

Corvan drew his sword and pointed the tip at the girl's neck. "Lead us to your base."

"In your wildest dreams." She said. "You should kill us first."

"Can't we do something more civilized here that won't lead to violence?!" Valeriana exclaimed in alarm.

"Then what do you suggest, Valeriana?" Gavin asked.

"Do you have any other ideas, then? I, myself, do not desire useless clashing such as this. But I'm left no other option."

"No. There is another way . . ."

Valeriana could still see auras. Her insight was one thing she could never block out unless she closed her eyes. Of course, the workings of her ability were still a mystery to her. Right now, Red's aura was wild. It flared and thrashed just as much as she did.

Perhaps she could find and see through the activity so that she could somehow tap into the open channels of the girl. If she could do so, she would be able to catch her off guard and see into her memories without violating the code of being a Direct User. People who did not know how to guard their auras were vulnerable and open to energies. She would accept Valeriana with open arms despite her physically and mentally against it. If she was caught unaware enough, she shouldn't offer much resistance.