The Gaithering

Thoughts around time of publishing - Look at that picture above... So much drama and plot twists still to come
----------------

By early that evening all of the royal family's had arrived at the Gaithering, those from the edges of the kingdom had to fly, and some of them had been on a plane for over 14 hours.

The first event, the official welcome, was happening that night at 8, and it was one of the rare events which everyone was welcome to attend as it celebrated the diversity of the kingdoms.

My mum finished tying my tie, apparently the fifth time was the charm.

"You look dashing," she told me, and gave me a dimpled smile, standing back to admire her work. My smart black suit, crisp white shirt and grey tie pleased her. "You will be the most handsome boy there."

I laughed at her parental bias and gave her a small bow in response, humouring her.

"And I am sure you will be by far the most beautiful Queen at there." I told her and she giggled girlishly and curtsied.

"She always has been," my father interjected smoothly as he walked in, his tailored suit giving him a sharp appearance. He kissed my mother on her cheek before holding his arm out to her and she smiled fondly up at him as she took it.

"We'll go on ahead of you," she told me warmly. "Go fetch Evelyn and follow after us."

I nodded and waited till they left, before I let out a heavy sigh as I felt my chest tighten.

This was it. After the next two weeks I would officially be an adult, and I would start actively taking part in the running of the kingdom.

The loss of freedom would be devastating – upon my return I would have my name and picture splashed across the papers as my debut into the royal elite was complete. I would no longer be able to casually go into town unnoticed with Evelyn. There would be no more cafés or markets, no cinema, less time to watch TV together, less time to listen to her play piano...

I raked my hand through my hair in agitation. It did no good to dwell on all the things I would lose, I should think about what I had right now.

What was taking Evelyn so long?

I knocked on the door and waited a few moments, before knocking again and entering.

Evelyn has decided to wear the silver dress I'd seen her in the other day, and once again the back was undone.

I felt my eyes widen as I took in the scene before me and quickly turned around. It felt wrong to be intruding on her like this.

There was a patter of feet and a tug on the back of my suit jacket as she peaked round the side of my arm, looked at me for help. I noticed now her eyes had smoky, silvery eye-shadow on them, and she looked more mature than she usually did.

I blinked, she always looked beautiful to me but right now she was on level with Freya, and I wasn't too sure how I felt about that.

Evelyn tilted her head to the side and I realized I'd been staring at her.

That's awkward, I thought, coughing slightly and running my hand through my hair again.

I took a deep breath as she turned around so I could pick up the ribbons trailing at her back. I tightened them a bit, and crossed them over each other and tied them. The result was an uneven, lopsided bow. I frowned, and undid it, tying it again. My second attempt was even shabbier than the first, and when I finished the third try it was upside down.