Selfish

Thoughts around time of publishing - Selfish is so funny spelt in syllables (seriously, I laughed for five minutes about this)

-----------

My mother decided that us 'kids' would make our way to the Gaithering separately from our parents. I assumed this was to allow them to make the most of the six hour car journey, giving the two kings and the two queens time to make business arrangements, agree on policies and negotiate trade between the two kingdoms.

That meant that the five of us kids would be in the same car.

I had to travel with Freya, especially when our parents were around. Then Freya was taking the succubus, who was called Brand, along with her, which meant that it was also okay for Evelyn to ride in our car. Her younger sister who couldn't drive yet was also traveling with us. One thing was certain - there was a trying six hours of road trip ahead of us.

Evelyn was waiting outside at the arranged time and I arrived soon after. Abby arrived shortly after me, but then ran off to get something she' left in the house. She still made it back before the other two arrived though.

She drummed her fingers against the hood of the car, and her leg jittered up and down.

"Are you alright?" I asked her after a minute of her nails clicking repetitively against the metal.

"Hmmmm? Oh, yeah," she said, not meeting my eye. "I'm fine."

She stopped her drumming and started pacing, which was more annoying.

Forty minutes after the arranged meeting time Freya and Brand showed up unapologetically.

"Did you have to keep us waiting? Couldn't you have come quicker?" Abby demanded.

"Sorry, that's not one of Brands specialties," Freya said with a wide smirk.

I rolled my eyes and let out an exasperated sigh, this was going to be torture - Freya would see to that.

She laughed at my reaction and sauntered over to me. She placed her manicured hand on my chest.

"I'm sorry, did that upset you?" she asked, looking up at me through her lashes. She lent forward, her sweater slipping down at the front.

"You can join in too if you want," she said sultry. "Me and Brand wouldn't have anything against it."

"Enough flirting," Abby interrupted sharply, and wrenched the car door open. "Can we just get going?"

Freya giggled but decided to not torture me further.

"Brand, you drive." She demanded, getting into the back and settling into the spacious seat, her long legs crossed. "Nate, sit next to me, Abby you sit in the front," she ordered.

Begrudgingly everyone followed her orders, and soon the car left my home, and we started heading towards the motorway.

For the first two hours of the journey Freya whispered in my ear and casually brushed against me. Whilst I spent two hours in irritation Evelyn just slept. She must have been really tired, but I was grateful she didn't have to witness Freya's advances.

As children we had often fallen asleep together, but as we grew up a space had formed and she'd become a lot more cautious. Now it's very rare for her to fall asleep in my presence - normally she awakes up before me, and is still awake when I go off to my room at night. Sometimes she trusts me too much, and other times she seems so guarded. In fact, in the past year the only time I'd seen her asleep was when she'd had a fit.