3

"N-No...No! I'm just dreaming." Roxy struggled to wake up to no avail. Tears pricked at her unseeing eyes. 

"Ma'am, listen." The man placed a hand on her stomach, delicate but firm. He spoke, sympathy lacing his voice. "A shard of glass from the car severed your optic nerve. I'm sorry, but there is nothing we can do."

Roxy felt tears roll down her cheeks as she gritted her teeth. She heard a small sob from her side, and felt her friend hug her warmly. 

"Could we have a minute, please?" Jane said to the man. He silently stood and took his leave, closing the door. As soon as he was gone, Jane let out a wail of sadness. Her friend was blind. Roxy slowly and uncertainly hugged back. She hummed a quiet, cheerful tune in an attempt to lighten the mood. Roxy rubbed her friend's back and and assured her it would be okay.

Hurried footsteps rushed into the room, along with the swish of a long dress.
"Roxy?" Came yet another familiar voice. Her mother. She hadn't forgotten about her only daughter.
"M-Mom?" She turned blankly towards where the voice had come from. Jane removed herself from the hug only to be replaced by her worried mother.
"I-I'm so sorry I did not come sooner."
She gently pulled away from the hug. Roxy forced herself to smile, it turning into a sort of grimace. "It's okay!"  To be honest, she was glad she couldn't see her mother's face. She had never seen or even heard her break down like this.  "Do I get a seeing eye dog or something? Do I get to skip school?" Roxy laughed quietly, trying to lighten the mood with jokes. 

Her mother cleared  her throat and was clearly trying her best to speak steadily."....Hm. Perhaps we could get you a dog..." 

"I could guide her...?" Jane quietly suggested. She was glad Roxy couldn't see her blush. "I mean... we are really close." 

"I suppose." You could almost hear her mom's smirk as she spoke. "You have a guide person now." And Roxy didn't even try to hide her bursting happiness.