In Times of Mourning

"Andi? Andi, wake up

"Andi? Andi, wake up."

My eyes snapped open. Peggy stood over me. She looked upset.

"What's going on?" I murmured groggily, pushing myself to my elbows.

The last thing I remembered was working all night and day with the Howling Commandos from the command centre. The last I'd heard from them was when they'd boarded Arnim Zola's train. I was so tired that I slipped away to find something soft to sleep on. Fortunately, Stark slept in his workshop, so there was a bed in there I could steal.

"They're back," Peggy said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Was the mission successful?"

She looked troubled. Something was wrong. Very wrong. I could tell by the look in her eyes. They didn't reflect the steely glint it usually did. They looked glassy. It made my stomach churn nervously.

I placed a hand on Peggy's. It was shaking. "What is it? Tell me." I gripped it supportively. "Is Steve all right?"

She gazed at me. I'd seen that look many, many times. It was a look of mourning. Someone hadn't returned. I prayed with all my being that it wasn't Steve; for Peggy's sake. And for mine.

"Bucky..." she breathed. "There was an accident. Steve tried to save him..." She looked down at her hands. "He fell."

Coldness rushed over me, and my blood froze. I was numb all over. I felt hollow inside. My heart was struggling to beat. My hands shook.

Bucky...dead? But...that couldn't be.

"N-No," I stammered. I ripped my hand from Peggy's. 

Then I realised. Steve. 

"Where's Steve?" I stood abruptly. "Where is he?"

She took my arm and led me towards the map table. She pointed to a small town not far from here. "Dugan informed us that, after they'd returned, Steve disappeared in this area."

I took a mental image of the area and faced her. She looked distraught. She was equally as worried about Steve as I was. 

"I'll find him, Peggy. Don't worry." I smiled reassuringly. "I'll bring him home."