Camp Lehigh

I've always been a small man

I've always been a small man. I pretty much got to my teenage years and never grew any bigger. And therefore I was a prime target for bullies who enjoyed beating up the little guy. My long list of illnesses didn't make it any easier. It simply made me more of a target.

When the war began, enlisting was my primary goal. And I was always rejected. No matter where I went I was always a 4F; to much of a risk to deploy.

Before you ask, no, I don't want to get killed. It's not about me. Men were laying down their lives for their country. I was destined to serve mine as well. I had no right to do any less than them. That was what people didn't understand. That was what Bucky didn't understand. And Steve from Ohio didn't sound that bad anyway.

"Stay here," the doctor ordered as he left, closing the curtains behind him.

I sat there awkwardly, gazing at my surroundings. I noticed a note behind me: it is illegal to falsify your enlistment form. I felt my stomach churn and my heartbeat quicken. Was risking lying to enlist again a good idea? I began to question my decision.

I jumped off the bed and began pulling on my shoes, ready to make a break for it in case things went awry, when a soldier stepped into the room. My heart stopped. I'd been caught. I was going to jail. I'd never get into the army now.

A man with grey hair and a dark beard peppered with silver and glasses propped on his nose walked in. He turned to the soldier. "Thank you."

The soldier nodded and left, drawing the curtains behind him.

I raised an eyebrow. What was this? Was he going to take me to jail? Probably not. So what was going on?

The man brought out a file from behind his back. "So. You want to go overseas and kill some Nazis."

My brow furrowed. "Excuse me?"

The man took a step towards me, a hand extended for a handshake. "Dr. Abraham Erskine."

I shook his hand. "Steve Rogers."

Dr. Erskine walked to the bed, resting the file on it. "Where are you from, Mr. Rogers? Mmm? Is it New Haven? Or Paramus? Five exams in five different cities."