Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Teya's POV

Why was I remembering this now? That memory that's no longer important. It didn't matter now anyway. My resolved had crumbled and I understood it all. Anton had laid it all out; what had happened in the past, what was happening now and what would happen in the future. A cold feeling settled at the pit of my stomach.

Everything was going horribly wrong. I could sense it as the large map of the territories were marked out in front of me. It was zoomed in enough that each individual building was as big as a fingernail. I could pinpoint the locations of each sentry guard on duty and a list of times were at my right hand. Alec had given me all this information once I had told him the basics. The time of the attack and how many rogues there were and what my life had been like in that place.

Then the request of a map. He had provided it all even though he knew I could be tricking him and in a way I was. These positions, everything was being memorised. Everything was a battle of strategy between both sides and who would adapt faster now.

"Alright, there, there and there. Those are the places where we're going to send scouts, that's going to..."

"Hold it." Alec interrupted me from his spot opposite me. Both of our hands rested on the table, there were no chairs and when we stood, our heights were so similar. The little thought sparked me to imagine what it'd be like to kiss him. Quickly I drew my hands towards my body before he could touch them. I didn't need any more tingles to distract me.

"What?"

"You said we're. Stop thinking you're part of their pack. You're not. You're part of my pack now." Alec scolded.

"Oh, sorry." I hadn't realised my mistake. Did Alec still think I was helping them? Somewhere in me wanted him to see it, see the betrayal in front of his face so that he could prevent me from rattling out to Anton.

But he didn't.

"Anyway." I cleared my throat. "They're planning an attack from this side and this side which basically means they're circling around the mountain so your only option is to either go up or down. That's after the scouts have taken out your patrols around these areas." I said pointing to the mountain and where all the houses of pack members were situated.

"Alright, thanks." Alec nodded thoughtfully. "That's not all is it?"

"Well he has thought of ways of wiping you all out but it's all along the same lines, see a Starlight pack wolf, capture or kill. It's the decision of whoever catches the enemy first." I felt Alec's eyes on me but I refused to look at him. Wasn't he paying attention in slightest to what I was saying?

"Teya, you know you're part of this pack now. We'll perform the ceremony soon but until then, don't think of yourself as part of those rogues." Alec watched as I swallowed and it felt like a burning ball of acid shoved down my throat.

"Yeah, I know." I said but didn't confirm my true feelings. Inside, I felt connected to the rogues. I still had family back there.

Warm arms wrapped themselves around me. Alec's face nuzzled itself into my bird's nest of hair. I hadn't had a shower in a while and I didn't know why he enjoyed doing that.

"Teya, you need to loosen up." Alec murmured.

"I am... Alec?" I didn't know if he noticed but I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable. This intimate gesture was not something I was used to. I hadn't been hugged for many years that this personal contact made me feel skittish.