Chapter 4

Chapter 4

She could hear the screams and the sound of flesh tearing. She turned away from that part of the forest. Her family were somewhere but she couldn’t find them. Where were they?

Her small bare feet hit the ground. Her dress was torn and her birthday crown sat crooked on her head. It was the worst day of her life and she couldn’t find anyone anymore. Tears were bubbling up in her eyes blurring her vision. Where were her mum and dad?

She needed them with her.

The world turned suddenly and it was like her head had flipped upside down. She looked up and realised she had tripped over a body. She screamed as she saw the blood running from a cut in his side. She quickly crawled over to his side and rolled him over. A groan came out of his lips and he murmured some mix matched words. His brown hair flopped uselessly but she couldn’t recognise him but felt the authority of power. An Alpha.

She had to find help quickly, a hurt Alpha just meant trouble. She quickly looked for anyone close by but the fighting was all grouped in a different direction. If only she was old enough to help him.

Suddenly a growl came. She turned to see a wolf with brown fur covered in blood.

“Go away!” She screamed the first things that came to her mind. She couldn’t let the alpha get hurt. If he died than who else was going to lead. The wolf howled, a sound in between a laugh and a sadistic chuckle. It didn’t back away but took advancing steps closer.

“No, please stay away.” She sobbed and sank to the floor. Her legs felt like jelly and couldn’t hold her up. If only she were older and could shift into a wolf herself. Bones cracked and the wolf shifted into a man who stood towering over her with features cruel and ugly.

“Now what do we have here? An alpha and a tiny little girl.” The man smirked to himself and poked the girl’s cheek.

“Stay away from us.” She screamed as tears spilled down her cheeks. She couldn’t hide how scared she was but she had to protect the Alpha.

“Aww, it’s your birthday today too. How about a little present?” He crouched down to her level and peered into her eyes with a look of pure craziness.

“Go away.” She crawled as far back as possible away from the scary man. Her fingers brushed something and she glanced back to see the boy, his face scrunched in pain. She had to get him to safety as quickly as possible.

“You can’t protect the Alpha. He’s in too much pain. He’ll die soon.” The man laughed quietly.

“No he won’t, he’ll heal fast.” She cried out. Why wouldn’t the man go away?

“Come on little girl.” His tongue rolled on the r making his look even more terrifying. “It’s time for you to follow me.” The man lunged forward and the girl ducked to one side. Her body slammed into the dirt and rocks filled her mouth.

“St..ay away f..rom me.” She sobbed and more tears cascaded down. A hand grabbed her ankle and started to drag her along the dirt. Her whole body made a shallow path and no matter how hard she tried, her fingers couldn’t find a grip to hold on too. Small droplets of water hit the dirt creating a trail away from a blood puddle. The girl looked up and twisted. She fought to free her leg from the man. She kicked and he dropped.

The girl turned over to see the man drop like a dead fly. What happened?

She scrambled up as quickly as possible to get away from the new threat. It wasn’t needed. The body with blood pouring down in streams from his wound stood over the man. A rock in his hand. His two front teeth missing.

“I’m Alec, what’s your name?” He grinned and his eyes rolled back.

Alec hit the ground right next to the man. A dent formed where Alec had struck him in the temple. He wouldn’t be getting up too soon but the girl had to get Alec to safety. He had saved her. She crawled to his side. His loose brown hair was covered in sticky blood and his clothes were dirty and soaked.

“P..lease d..on’t.. die.” The girl sobbed. He couldn’t die. Not when he had just saved her. She moved his hair away from his face, his eyelids fluttered once and then twice. Fear gripped her body but she didn’t know how long he had left to live.

“I’m not going to die, not when I haven’t become alpha.” He smirked, a thin red line ran down from his lips. She unconsciously wiped it away, even half dead, he was smirking. Simultaneously growls echoed and another scream followed. It wasn’t safe here. They had to escape or risk getting torn apart. She’d seen many werewolf fights and none of them had ended pretty. Her mum had always covered her eyes during the worst of times, protecting her. Now it was her turn to find her mum and protect her.

The leaves rustled and a new smell of blood infiltrated the air. The girl rechecked her surroundings and to her horror, the same man she had sworn to be dead was once again on his feet. He staggered and swayed until his eyes refocused themselves on her. Eyes full of hatred.

The girl couldn’t believe that werewolf healing could be this amazing. This man must have come from a high rank to achieve such remarkable regeneration powers.

“Now you’ve just pissed me off.” He snarled, blood dripped from his teeth. His eyes were bloodshot and she wondered if he had become a zombie. “I’m going to rip you apart.” He howled and lurched forward. She easily ducked underneath his massive arms, he wasn’t yet co-ordinated properly and it only made him angrier.  

“I said stay away from us!” She screamed but his hands kept reaching for her. She scrambled back, slipping, not being able to get to her feet. Her hands and legs scraped against the dirt and his face just a few inches from hers. She could smell his breath, like death.

His fingers reached and her back hit something hard, a tree. She couldn’t move in any direction. He was going to kill her. She screamed as his fingers closed around her neck, his muscles in his arms bulged as they squeezed her tiny neck. Her voice cut off, into fits of choking breaths and she struggled to get air in. Her feet dangled helplessly and her fingers desperately tried to pry his hard grip off her neck. Her head swam with fogginess and her vision was dimming. Black dots blinked in front of her face. She was losing energy.

A growl erupted throughout the forest and bones cracked but it was all background noise until the hand was wrenched off her throat and she was falling, falling onto the ground. Her eyes opened weakly and in front of her was a huge wolf with fur the colour of rich chocolate brown. The wolf looked amazing and it pounced on the man, bearing his teeth and biting wherever skin showed. The girl had no strength left to protest and shut her eyes just to rest for a little while.

The sun was a bright light that penetrated to her eyeballs. She couldn’t rest any longer, her body screamed for her to move but the grass was like a soothing touch. She lazily blinked and gasped. Blood soaked through the dirt, forever marking this place as a death scene. Her body ached and her throat was bruised and sore. That wasn’t the worst of it, she couldn’t see anything but blood. Where was Alec?

 A figure came from behind a tree, he wasn’t wearing a shirt and a pair of loose shorts hung just above his hips. His mouth curved up before he fell, face first onto the ground. Without hesitating the girl ran to his side and rolled him forward. His skin was slowly healing and it was only a matter of time but he had already lost so much blood.

“Heh, I protected you twice. I promise I’ll protect you.” His voice was soft and his eyes slowly closed. She no longer feared that he was going to die. He was strong, and she was determined to become strong too. Just like him. She carefully rolled him to a comfortable position.

Someday she was going to repay him. It was her turn to save him.

 Thank you so much for those who are reading. You guys are amazing. It would be even more amazing if I got more reads. Well, here's hoping. 

But to all you people who are reading, please vote and comment. It would mean the world to me.