The Powers of Dogs: Sirius

Harry's face turned white. I glared at Remus, who glared back. Then my gaze turned to Tom Riddle, and he met my eyes not with defiance, but acceptance and sadness. You see, after he had killed James and Lily, he had supposedly felt remorse, which had brought his soul (if he had ever had one) back together. And now he was good. The corrupted ministry had not sentenced him to death. They gave him free reign.

"You-you murdered--" Harry stammered. His face was almost as white as Lily's coat, with a tint of green. Time to intervene.
"Let's go, Harry, Remus," I said, still standing. I kept my wand on Voldemort. What did I care if people in the street saw? A few witches walked by and sighed.

"Those wizards. Always getting into duels."

"Agreed. Sirius?" Remus asked. I knew what he meant. We had to side apparate. We vanished in a crack as I twisted to the side and thought of home.

After Harry calmed down at Rose Cottage, he drank a glass of cold water.

"Where's Lily?" He asked quietly. Remus looked at me, and I blanched. Had I forgotten to grab her? I was about to apparate back to the pub, when a little hand grabbed my cloak. I brushed my hair out of my eyes and saw Harry, a little color back in his cheeks. He looked so much like James...

"You don't have to go all the way back. Just call for her and she'll come." Was he delirious? I looked at him.

"What?"

"I-I don't know, I just have a feeling. Just call for her outside." Harry flushed, and took his hand away. I looked at Moony, questioning. He shrugged.

"Didn't you say she had a knack for hearing things she shouldn't normally hear?"

"LILLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! LIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLYYYYYYY!!!" My throat was beginning to hurt. Also, I felt like an idiot. I was just about to go back inside and give up on the dumb dog when I heard something. A bark? It couldn't be. A neighbor dog.

"Lily?" Harry appeared right next to me. I heard the door shut and Remus came on my other side.

"Maybe we should all try together?" He asked, smiling. I glared at those twinkling golden brown eyes. We all took a deep breath---

"LLIIIIIIIILLLLLLYYYYY!!!!!"

There was definitely a bark. From afar off. We waited anxiously, and there was that white mutt, running as fast as she could across the yard. In her mouth were bags. Of stuff. That I had also forgotten to grab. Heh.

Remus just stood and looked at the sight of the dog running. He didn't say anything. As she was getting closer, he murmured, "you. Are. The. Stupidest. Mutt. There. Ever. Was." And took the bags from Lily's happy, slobbery mouth and walked inside.

"She really came!" Harry squealed, hugging his exhausted dog. She was really panting. I leaned down to pet her and apologized guiltily. Then Moony called them inside. I was about to walk in to join them when I hit an invisible wall. Like literally.

"Ow! Moony-" but Remus refused to listen. "Remy, what's this for?" I whined.

"Foolishly forgetting our bags. What else? Oh, yeah, the dog. "

"What, you like Lily more than me now?" This was unfair!

"Yup. "

"But where am I going to sleep?"

"Where do you think?" Remus did not look impressed. Stupid penny pincher!

"In a nice, warm bed?"

"Wrong. Have fun sleeping outside."

I have never been so thankful for a bed in my life.