Boardwalks, Farris Wheels, and Ex-Girlfriends

I guess Alex's idea of a date it to NOT tell the girl where he's taking her. I mean REALLY? Who does that? Anyways we're driving on a highway toward what looks like a giant farris wheel.

"Alex, will you just tell me where we're going?"

"Nope." He smiles, "I want it to be a surprise."

"You know I hate surprises." I reach to turn on the radio.

"The stations are different here."

"You act like I never travel." The truth is, I'm on a competitive dance team. I've traveled all across the country for competitions. We returned from nationals in Las Vegas a few weeks ago.

"I know you travel, but I was just reminding you."

I roll my eyes and sit back in my seat. We were getting pretty close to a chain of hotels on the beach. What did Alex have planned? We pulled up at a parking garage, payed the fine to park, and parked in the nearest open spot.

Alex unbuckles his seat belt and gets out of the car. I do the same. We walk along the sidewalk until we reach a movie theatre on the boardwalk.

"I thought you said that we weren't going to see a movie," I say.

"We're not," Alex says. "What do you want for lunch?"

"I'm kinda in the mood for pizza." I reply.

"Say no more!" Alex says, "I know exactly where to take you."

We walk on the boardwalk for a little while, passing little gift shops, hot dog stands, and restaurants, until we reach a little place called "Mack and Manco: Pizzeria." It looks small and dingy, but the place is booming with buisness.

"Welcome to the best pizzeria in South Jersey," Alex says.

I let out a little laugh. "This place? You're kidding, Right?" Dispite my joke, Alex grabbes my hand and walks up to the front of the restaraunt.

"Welcome to Mack and Manco's," the host says unenthusiasticlly, "How many?"

"Table for two," Alex says, "Is Sam working today?"

"Yes in fact she is," the host replies.

"If you see her, let her know that Alex is here." Alex looks at me and smiles.

"How often do you come here again?" I ask while the host takes us to our table.

"Usually I make a trip out here by myself and eat here for lunch and dinner," Alex replies.

"So twice every year?" I ask.

"I eat here around Thanksgiving too," Alex says, "I like to come here in the fall because there aren't as many people around."

"Thats cool," I say.

A waitress walks up to our table. "Well look who it is."

"Hey, Sam!" Alex's face lights up, "How have you been."

"Pretty good. I finally figured out that riddle," Sam nods towards me. "Whos she?"

"This is Skyler. She's my girlfriend." Alex reaches across the table to hold my hand.

I look at Sam and ask, "Do you have a problem with that?"

"Of course not!" She turns around and sees her boss. "I need to take your order or else I'm going to get fired again."

"We'll have two small cokes and a small cheese pizza," Alex orders.

"I'll bring that right over," Sam said while she finished writing the order on her pad of paper.

Alex watches Sam as she walks away. "I get the feeling that you two were more than friends at one point," I say.

Alex looks at me, takes a deep breath, and says, "We dated a few years ago, but it was just a summer fling," he finishes quickly.

I roll my eyes and sit back. "You're lucky you're cute," I say, half-joking.

Sam walks back with our soda and our pizza. She sets the pizza down on the table and then hands us our sodas. "Enjoy you guys." She bends down and kisses Alex on his forehead. "Take care of yourself, Alex."

"I'll try," Alex replied. They hugged. They hugged! Right in front of me! I wouldn't be so pissed if they hadn't dated before. "Nice meeting you," Sam said after she broke from the embrace.

I nod in response, and Sam leaves. "What?" Alex asks me when I give him the death glare. I sit back in my seat and take a sip of my soda. "What did I do?" Alex sounds more worried than he did before.

"You hugged your ex-girlfriend right in front of me!" I practically yell.

"You're right. I'm sorry," Alex apologizes.

"You're lucky you're cute," I say. I see Alex smile and grab the first slice of pizza.

--------

"Welcome to 'Gillian's Wonderland'! How many tickets can I get you?" asks the overly excited ticket booth worker.

"Seventy tickets please," Alex says.

The ticket guy punches some numbers into his cash register. "Alrighty sir! That'll be fifty dollars," he says when he turns back to face us. Alex takes a wad of cash out of the right side pocket on his bermuda shorts. He pulls two twenties and one ten out of the wad and hands it to the ticket booth worker. The man takes the cash and places it carefully into the cash register and hands Alex a pad of tickets. "Here you are, sir."

"Thanks," Alex says. He takes the tickets, grabs my hand, and we run into the amusement park. "Log flume or music express?" He asks me.

I smile and say, "Whatever you pick I'm okay with."

Alex takes the lead for the rest of the date. We ride almost all of the rides and Alex surprises me again by saving the farris wheel for last. By the time we get there, the sun is setting.

"That was the best date I've ever been on," I say as our seat slowly rotates to the top.

"It's not over yet," Alex says. He leans over and kisses me on the cheek. When he pulls back, I look him straight in the eye. We hold each other's gazes.

The farris wheel suddenly stops as soon as our seat reaches the top. "Oh, shit!" I exclaim when the seat jerks forward.

"You okay?" Alex laughs.

"I almost fell!" I laugh. Wait. Why am I laughing? I almost DIED!

When I adjust myself in the seat, Alex leans in and kisses me. This has got to be the best day of my life.