Chapter 5

A/N:I added a song with this chapter. Stand By You Rachel Platten. Thanks for reading enjoy.

2 Months Later.....

Leo
I started running as soon as the phone rang. Quick,Leo you need to get to the hospital,Kate said. Kate was my mom's nursing friend who has been helping to take care of April. I was so scared. I took off running. I climbed in my jeep,racing against time to the hospital. I arrived and slammed my door behind me. Come on,I said at the slow elevator. Forget it,I said to myself,it was taking too long. I started running with tears I didn't know were there running down my cheeks. I ran the familiar halls up stairways and finally to the hall where her room was. She has been unconscious for two months. She has been in a coma due to a brain surgery to remove cancerous tumors that were growing quick on her brain,slowly killing her. She's waking soon,Kate said,get in there and talk to her,hearing your voice might be enough to bring her completely back,she heard your mom's voice this morning and her eyelids fluttered and she moved her fingertips the slightest inch. This isn't bad considering her two month coma,Kate added. I walked into the room closing the door behind me. I've missed you,you need to come back to me,I love you,and people are worried about you,I said grabbing her hand. Her fingers squeezed mine and her eyelids fluttered for just a second. I love you more than I could ever tell or show you,you deserve the world for how happy you make me,I said. Her eyes opened and she took a breath. Leo,she gasped. I'm here,baby,I'm right here,I said. I heard you,I heard your voice,it made me want to fight harder,she said almost to the point of crying. At that tears welled in my eyes. It's okay don't cry,I'm alive,I'm okay,she cried out to me. I know you are alive,I'm relieved you don't know how scared I got when I got the call telling me to rush over here,you have no idea how much I have missed you these last two months,you came back to me baby,I said. I've got to go let Kate know you are awake,I added. I started crying relieved. She just wrapped her weak arms around me carefully and held me as I started to cry. Its okay don't cry I'm not going anywhere,she whispered in my ear.

April
I fluttered my eyelids open a little bit and then they closed and I gained feeling in my fingertips.Just a slight movement let them know you are coming back,that you are waking up,you are alive,I said to myself. I managed to get a small movement in my fingers. I heard someone in the room gasp and run out into the hall shouting something incomprehensible to someone else. The door to my room closed. People talking in the hall. My door opened and closed again. The sound of running footsteps slowing. Heavy breathing and a chair sliding on the floor. A hand grasped mine. I've missed you,you need to come back to me,I love you,and people are worried about you,the voice said. Not any voice,Leo's voice. I missed him,a tear slid out of the corner of my eye unnoticed besides me as I felt it sliding down my cheek. I made my fingers squeeze his and my eyelids fluttered just a slight bit,only for a second. I love you more than I could ever tell or show you,you deserve the world for how happy you make me,come back to me baby,he said. My eyes opened and I took a breath looking around for him. Leo,I gasped. I'm here,baby,I'm right here,Ihe said. I heard you,I heard your voice,it made me want to fight harder,I said. At that tears welled in his eyes. It's okay don't cry,I'm alive,I'm okay,I said. I know I'm relieved you don't know how scared I got when I got the call telling me to rush over here,he said. I've got to go let Kate know you are  awake he added. He started crying relieved. I just wrapped my weak arms around him carefully and held him as he started to cry. Its okay don't cry I'm not going anywhere,i whispered in his ear.I've been in a coma for two long months they've told me. I've held my promise and he held his. Leo has been here at least once a day everyday. Luckily Sarah made him go to school. My mom has been by several times and the first time after I was in my coma they hugged and cried so much. They made me do physical therapy even though I was fine besides the cancer of course. The therapy would leave me sore and exhausted. He was with me every step which seemed to help make it a slight bit better. They didn't want my cancer progressing to the next stage so they started me on aggressive chemo ending the therapy two days later. They were hoping to beat it with aggressive chemo and radiation if the radiation is needed. It totally sucked. Not only would I be exhausted with a fever most times but the chemo would make me sick to my stomach and even more quickly fatigued. When I wasn't sleeping I was more often than not getting sick. I never felt like eating either but I didn't want to worry them so I ate little portions. My mom would have to work so I would stay home with them for a few days when I get released which depends on the days. I found out after a month and a half of chemo and a mostly conscious hospital stay with noisy machines and have to drag oxygen tanks with me that I could go home for a week. Leo has been going to school and when he wasn't at school he was with me which was mostly evenings and weekends. He grabbed my bag of clothes from my mom. I would go with them for 5 days next week when I get released and then home for 2 days before a doctors appointment and results to see if I need more chemo and if this round did anything. A week later,I changed my clothes when they told me I could leave. The removed my IV and the heart monitor. I was so glad they were gone they were so dreadfully annoying. I changed quick into comfy clothes deciding I wanted to go to school Monday. I had little hair a pageboy cut because most of it fell out weeks ago due to my treatment. I would wear my wig somedays not too often yet. Sometimes I would wear a hat or scarf and sometimes nothing at all. It depended on the day and my mood. They loaded Sarah down with my meds,oxygen tanks which are placed in my cart with wheels so I can roll it behind me and cloth masks. I hated the masks for making me look sick and showing my disease on the outside. But I wore one anyway. After having to be pushed in a wheelchair (hospital policy) and being discharged we could finally leave. In the car with Sarah and Leo since they rode together in her Pilot, I tugged off the mask with my oxygen at my feet. I was wearing my gray converse high tops. I looked out window. April,there is a football game tonight and I'm playing with the band if you want to go you can if you don't then we don't have to go I can miss this it's only preseason,Leo said. No I want to go, I said looking over at him sitting next to me. He was tall but despite me telling him to sit up front cause of his long legs,he sat next to me instead declaring he was fine. I smiled,fixing my gray beanie that hung off the back of my head. Finally we arrived at their house,our brothers greeted us. I saw my mom and she said, this was a visit before she went to work cause she and my brother missed me. I could've went home but none of us thought it was a good idea for me to stay alone. I was wearing my black sweatpants and a long sleeved blue V-neck.