Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

I'm woken up the following morning by the delightful sensation of a rough, sandpaper-like tongue enthusiastically licking my face. I groan and roll over, snuggling deeper under the covers.

"Pluto, leave me alone. I'm sleeping."

A few blissful moments of undisturbed peace pass. Then a tsunami-like force lands on my back as Pluto returns, pawing at my back and digging his claws in when I don't respond. I shriek, leaping up like a piping hot poker has been stabbed into my back.

"Ow! Pluto!" I throw the covers back and glare at the large cat perched at the end of the bed. He watches me smugly, his tail twitching from side to side. "What have I told you about trying to wake me up in bed? We've talked about this — your claws are too long to do that anymore! You're going to shish-kebab me one of these days!"

Pluto sneezes and flicks me with his tail. I glower and peevishly throw a pillow at him.

"Go play with someone your own size."

Pluto chuffs, almost like he's laughing, and jumps off the bed — to reveal Hades, standing at the foot of my bed.

I yelp, scrambling to cover myself up with the comforter. "Oh my god— Hades! Have you been there the whole time?!"

Hades ignores my question.

"You will start your training today. Be ready in half an hour."

I stare in wordless shock at him, my mouth agape. Once he's sure I understood his instruction, Hades nods and blinks from view.

Embarrassment steals over me. I cautiously glance around my room several times, before timidly getting out of bed. The patter of my bare feet on the marble floor echoes softly as I dart over to the bathroom and lock the door soundly behind myself.

I may be in love with the guy, but that still doesn't make me comfortable with him barging into my room, unannounced, while I'm still in bed. Disney's Anna has nothing on me when it comes to horrendous bed hair.

By the time Hades returns, I've had a chance to freshen myself up and change into some more respectable jeans and a flowing bohemian top. I double-check my appearance in the mirror and grin to myself in satisfaction. I still couldn't quite believe that Kezia had actually managed to convince Calla to modernise my wardrobe. Even my threats of releasing Pluto on her hadn't been successful — even though I never would have been able to follow through with said threats, considering the planet-sized soft spot Pluto had for her. That wouldn't have mattered though, apparently, as my threats must have paled in comparison to whatever it was that Kezia had said to her. I had to admit, I was a little terrified for Calla — I had no idea what Kezia had said to make her change her mind, but it couldn't have been anything good. Or healthy. Or safe.

"Are you ready?" A quiet voice asks from the bathroom doorway. I jump, banging my knee against the counter in fright.

"Would you stop that?" I demand, whirling around to glower at Hades. My knee throbs painfully. "Your random unannounced appearances really freak me out."

"I apologise. That was not my intention."

"Let me give you a tip then: knock." I deadpan, rolling my eyes. I flick off the bathroom lights as I walk out to join him. "Or, I don't know, start wearing a bell."

"A bell?" Confusion creases Hades' features. "What would I require a bell for?"

I bite back a smile, shaking my head. "Don't play dumb. I know you know."

"You know I know what?" He raises an eyebrow. "I do not know what you are trying to insinuate, Evie. I am merely confused as to why you think I need a bell."