The One-Chapter 9

When school ended, before she could go on her motorcycle I ran up to her and hugged her. She looked surprised then relaxed.

“You smell good.” She whispered.

“What did you just say?” I said smirking.

“Nothing.” She quickly replied blushing.

“Ok so I guess it’s time for my humiliation, costume shopping.” I said sadly.

“Don’t worry it will be fun! You’re going to look great in tights.” She said laughing.

“Whatever.”

Ariana

As he walked back to his car, I couldn’t help but stare at his retreating form.  He made me feel normal and when I laughed it wasn’t forced. I went on top of my bike and pulled on the helmet and it roared to life. I started to back up and waited for Zane to pull up behind me before making my way toward the local costume shop. The wind blew through my hair and I loved how it felt on the hot day. When I pulled in to the costume shop, Zane wasn’t behind me so I decided to go inside and start looking for ideas.

I turned off my bike and put the key in my pocket and pulled my hoodie over my head.

As I opened the door the bell rung and a man reading a magazine looked up.

“Hello how may I help you?”

“Do you have any Shakespearean costumes? I’m doing a school project so I need it to look really authentic.”

“Is it just for you?”

“No a friend should be coming shortly.”

“I will check out back to see what we have, while you can look through the aisles.”

He turned around and headed towards the back of the store.

Before the accident happened, I would have been flirting like crazy with the guy. He was young and his shirt clung to him in all the right places, he even had some baby blues! I shook it off as I looked through the aisles and heard a chime from the door.

“Zane! I’m over here.”

I heard footsteps come toward me and turned around to see a puppy dog face.

“What?”

“Please, please, please can we just where regular clothes? We can make a modern version!”

“No, it would be awesome to wear clothes like this.” I said holding up a dress.

“Please, I will do whatever you want.”

“No, and I want to see you in tights.” She said smiling evilly.

“You’re so lucky you’re a girl. I would totally punch you.” He said seriously.

“What?” I said as I looked up at him frightened.

“Oh my god I’m sorry. I was joking.” He said quickly and pulled me into a hug. “I’m so sorry.” He murmured into my hair.

“It’s fine.”

“Um, so I found these outfits.” I backed away from Zane’s embrace and saw the worker holding up two outfits that were actually perfect for us.

“We’ll take them!”

“Ugh.” Zane said as his shoulders sagged inward.

“It’s fine I bet you will look different.” I said laughing.

“I hate you.” He said as he handed the worker his credit card and paid for the outfits.

“I will pay you back for my costume.” I said quickly as we exited the shop.

“Please stop saying you will pay me back. I have more than enough money and don’t need more. Just think of it as a gift.” He said smiling sheepishly.

“Ok thanks then for the gift.”

Zane

“So you want to head to my place?” I said. I wasn’t ready for her to go yet.

“Sure, we can try on the costumes and you can cook for me.” She said smiling and heading back to her motorcycle.

As I opened my car door and drove to my place I couldn’t stop looking in the rear view mirror to stare at Ariana. Whenever I was around her I just felt like a new person. She has to be the one I can feel it.