Chapter 3

The group of five got off the train, and walked to a large man who boomed, "FIRST YEARS O'ER HERE!" FOUR TO A BOAT!" The five friends looked at each other awkwardly before Bill volunteered as tribute to go into a different boat. He was greeted by a red head (who had told them that they should change into their robes and James was practically drooling over), a black haired boy with a hooked nose, and another girl who had a fluffy bob of caramel-colored hair and blue eyes. 

"Hi," Bill greeted, "I'm Bill, and I was wondering if I could sit with you guys?"

"Um sure," the redhead said, "I'm Lily."

"Oh yeah, you were the one who told us to change into our robes, right?"

"Yep, that was me!" she responded cheerily, "Oh, and this is Severus, and the girl next to you is Eleanor." 

"Hi," Eleanor said shyly, the sleeves of her robes covered her hands. 

"Hello," Severus said to Bill, with a subtle nod. 

"So..." Bill trailed off, his eyes wandering around, looking at anything outside the boat. "How were your summers?"

"Great!" Lily said, "My sister and I had built a secret garden behind our house, where we planted lilies and petunias, because they're our names..." Lily's eyes grew sad, "Of course, that was before I go my Hogwarts letter... Now she won't even talk to me." 

"I had an okay summer," Severus said, looking at his shoes. 

"My summer was fine," Eleanor spoke quietly and abruptly. "We just went camping and watched muggle movies."

"I had a fine summer," Bill said, "My best friend and I pranked some of the girls at the orphanage -that's where I live- by putting ketchup in their shampoo... Oh, it was a blast! And then I got my Hogwarts letter, I think that we're still friends... I wonder how he's doing." Bill raised an eyebrow, before letting it drop back down. "Of course, none of that matters since I am here!" 

"Bill, if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your eye?" Eleanor asked bluntly. 

"Oh, uh," he could feel the blood rushing to his face, "one of my eyes are blind..." 

"Ohhhh. Okay." 

The rest of the boat ride was silent, until they got near Hogwarts. Everyone's breath was caught from  the majestic castle-like school. A chorus of "oohs," and "aahs," filled the boats. Bill was breathless. It wasn't like anything he was expecting. 

"It's beautiful," he whispered.

"Yes, yes it is," Lily replied, her eyes lit with fascination. 

The boats stopped and they headed into the castle. They were greeted with a stern professor and waited to be sorted. 

"I heard that you have to fight a werewolf," one of the students next to Remus said, and when Bill looked back, he noticed Remus's pale face. 

"Are you okay, Remus?"

"Yeah. Just peachy." 

The herd of students formed a single file line into the Great Hall.

"Aris, Calliope," Professor McGonagall called, and soon went through the A's to the B's. "Black, Sirius!" Sirius ran up to the sorting hat, and it was placed on it's head. The table of Slytherins gasped in shock as the hat called out, "GRYFFINDOR!" McGonagall continued to list out names. 

"Cipher, Bill!" Bill walked over to the hat, and it was placed onto his head. He jumped when the voice entered his head. 

"Hmm... Quite clever, modest... Right now, but very cunning and ambitious. A leader who will later on easily manipulate people. A joker, eh? Hm... Hufflepuff would do you no good for success, Ravenclaw would lead you down the wrong path, and Gryffindor would get you to stay neutral. You have many Slytherin qualities, though, so that's where you belong. SLYTHERIN!" Bill smiled and gave a small shrug at his friends, who stared at him in disbelief.

He quickly joined the Slytherin table, and was greeted with some scowls. Bill looked at the staff table and noticed Dumbledore face-palming. 

Dumbledore was shocked when Bill was placed in Slytherin. He seemed like a Gryffindor. All he could do was hope that Bill wouldn't follow Tom Riddle's path. 

The rest of Bill's friends had joined Gryffindor, except for Severus and Eleanor. Severus was with him, while Eleanor joined the Ravenclaw table. Dumbledore said the announcements, and then the feast began. 

This is where we begin Bill's journey in fifth year.