Chapter 5: DodgeBrawl

The campers face off in a game of dodgeball. After losing two challenges in a row, The Killer Bass are the underdogs and do not expect to win.
___________________

"Why would you let me sleep on the couch?" Riley complained, twisting in an attempt to stretch her back as she and Chris walked into the dining hall.
"You looked peaceful and I didn't want to wale you. I know you're a light sleeper." She acknowledged his response with a slight smile. In the dining hall, everyone was falling asleep if they hadn't already. Duncan was one of the ones who had fallen asleep. "Duncan. You look like crap, dude."
"And he's going to beat the crap out of you," Riley whispered under her breath.
"Stuff it" was his only response.
"Harold snored all night."
"Wow, four nights with no sleep. How much are you hurting, dude?"
"Wow, you're really trying to get hit." Riley's comment was ignored by her dad, but Noah laughed slightly.
"Want to find out?"
"No, no he doesn't. And neither do I." She shot her friend a half-pleading-half-threatening look.
"No, no, it's cool. It's cool."
At that point, the door opened and everyone turned their attention to Harold who had a horribly drawn on mustache. The other campers, including the two hosts, had started giggling as he sat down. The ginger questioned what everyone was laughing at to which Geoff answered "Someone messed with your face, dude." For whatever reason, Harold actually liked it. Chris then turned everyone's attention to Gwen who had won the previous challenge for her team.
"I'm so tired. I can't feel my face." She slammed her head down, almost to prove her point.

[Confessional: Riley]
"I've been there... waaayyyy too often. It freaking sucks."
[Courtney]
"We are so sucking right now. Okay, yes, Eva was a psycho, but at least she was an athletic psycho."
[End confessional]

     Heather was going over the rules of her alliance as if no one else could hear her when she decided to mess with the other team. "Hey, fish-heads, way to kick out your strongest player. Why don't you just give up now?" Courtney threw whatever kind of food Chef had given that day at Heather who stepped out of the way and landed on Gwen's face.
     "Okay, campers, listen up. Your next challenge begins in 10 minutes, and be prepared to bring it." Chris and Riley left the campers to finish their breakfast and headed towards the beach.
     "Why do you keep trying to get killed?" The younger McLean asked her father.
     "What do you mean?"
     "You know what I mean."
     "Do I?"
     "Yes."
     "It's entertaining." His answer was so casual it irritated Riley just a bit.
     "It won't be entertaining when he kills you in your sleep."
     "If you're that scared of him then why are you friends with him?"
     "He likes my music. You know how hard it is to find someone who likes my music."
     "Yes, I know, but I'd really rather it not be a criminal. What about Noah? Does he like your music?" She shot him a questioning look that he ultimately ignored.
     "Not whatsoever. I think I scared him away when I showed Motionless in White. Probably should have started a little... lighter."

     Once everyone was gathered in the glass dome and Duncan threatened the other campers, Chris began explaining the challenge for the day. "Today's challenge is the classic game of dodgeball. The first rule of dodgeball is-"
     "-Don't talk about dodgeball?" Owen and Riley laughed at the Fight Club reference but stopped when she noticed her father glaring.
     "As I was saying, if you get hit with the ball-" the host roughly threw the ball at Courtney who managed to catch it "-you're out."
     "You can't just do that!" Courtney threw the ball back, but at Riley, who caught it and passed it to her dad.
     "If you catch the ball, the thrower gets sent out and the catcher gets to bring in another team member out on the court."
     "Throwing balls, gee, another mentally challenging test." Riley laughed again but quickly stopped when she realized it wasn't that funny and she just looked like she was trying too hard to be friends with him.
     "Okay, now, Geoff, try to hit me. If you're holding a ball, you can use it to deflect a ball. But if it knocks the ball out of your hands, you're out."
     "So what do I do again when the ball comes at me?" Riley mentally face palmed at this and attempted to stifle a chuckle when the dumb blonde was hit in the face.
     "Ooh, you were supposed to dodge. You have one minute until game time. Gophers, you'll have to sit one person out each game."