Chapter 2: Not So Great Outdoors: Part 1

Start from the beginning

"This is Camp Wawanakwa, your home for the next eight weeks. The campers sitting around you will be your cabin mates, your competition, and maybe even your friends. The camper who manages to stay on Total Drama Island the longest, without getting voted off, will win $100,000."
"Excuse me? What will the sleeping arrangements be? Because I'd like to request a bunk under her," Duncan said, pointing to Heather.
"They're not co-ed, are they?"
"No. Girls get one side of each cabin and dudes get the other."
"Excuse me, Kyle? Can I have a cabin with a lake view since I'm the prettiest?"
"Okay, you're not. But that's not really how it works here. And, it's Chris."
"I have to live with Sadie or I'll die-"
"-and I'll break out in hives. It's true."
"This can not be happening."
"Come on guys, it'll be fun. It's like a big sleepover."
"At least you don't have to sleep next to him."
"Here's the deal. We're going to split you in to two teams. When I call your name, go stand over there: Gwen, Trent, Heather, Cody, Lindsay, Beth, Katie, Owen, LeShawna, Justin, and Noah. From this moment on, you are officially known as... The Screaming Gophers."
"Yeah! I'm a gopher."
"Wait, what about Sadie?"
"The rest of you over here: Geoff, Bridgette, DJ, Tyler, Sadie, Izzy, Courtney, Ezekiel, Duncan, Eva, and Harold. Move!"
Sadie began complaining about Katie being a gopher while Courtney attempted to comfort her. "You guys will officially be known as... The Killer Bass."
"Awesome. It's like, amazing."
"Alright campers, you and your team will be on camera in all public areas in this competition. You will also be able to share your innermost thoughts on tape with video diaries any time you want. Let the audience at home know what you're really thinking. Or, just get something off your chest."

[Confessional: Gwen]
"Um, okay. So far, this stinks."
[Riley]
"I don't know how I feel about this. I don't know if I necessarily have the right to say it sucks, but it kinda does."
[End Confessional]

"Alright, any questions? Cool. Let's find your cabins." Chris and Riley lead the campers back towards the dock. "Are you just going to let me do all the talking?"
"I don't know what I'm suppose to say. I've never done this before."
"You'll get used to it, eventually."

____________________________

"Gophers, you're in the east cabin. Bass, you're in the west." The campers were left to get situated while the two hosts stood by, watching them. "Are you still mad?"
"I told you to forget about it."
"When have I ever done something I was told to do?"
"Fair enough."
"So?"
"I don't think I-" She was interrupted when Cody was thrown out of the girls cabin.
"Where are the outlets? I have to plug in my straightening iron."
"There are some in the communal bathrooms, just across the way."
"Communal bathrooms? But I'm not catholic."
"Not communion. Communal."
"It means you shower together," Riley told her as Gwen called her an idiot. She started complaining loudly, drawing everyone's attention. Owen said something to the guys that Riley couldn't hear, nor did she care to hear.
"Excuse me, Chris? Is there a chaperone of any kind in this facility?"
"You're all sixteen years old, as old as a counselor in training at a regular summer camp. So, other than myself, you'll be unsupervised-"
"-but the cameras are always watching."
"You have half an hour to unpack and meet me back at the main lodge. Starting now." The father-daughter duo walked to the dining hall to wait for the campers and talk to Chef as he prepares lunch. "So?"
"So what?"
"You didn't finish what you were saying earlier."
"I don't remember what I was-" Once again, Riley was cut off, but this time by a high pitched scream coming from the cabins. "I think Lindsay just found out what 'nature' is." They chuckled, entering the dining hall.

_______________________

"Listen up. I serve it three times a day and you will eat it three times a day. Grab your tray, get your food, and sit your butts down now."
"Excuse me, will we be getting all the major food groups?"
"I get hypoglycemia real bad if I don't get enough sugar." Chef Hatchet continued to serve the slop to all the campers until it was Riley's turn. He smiled when he saw her, handing her a grilled cheese.
"Thank you Chef." She returned the smile and sat between Gwen and Noah after asking if it was okay.
"Why do you get actual food?" Cody asked, practically drooling over it.
"I'm not a contestant. I would go to craft and services for food, but I don't feel like walking that far. Plus, I'd rather spend time with people my own age." As if on que, Chris walked in to the dining hall.
     "Welcome to the main lodge."
     "Yo, my man, can we order a pizza?" This caused Chef to throw a knife at Geoff's head, barely missing it. "Woah it's cool. Brown slop is cool. Right guys?" The campers nervously laughed, nodding their heads in agreement.
     "Your first challenge begins in one hour." Chris turned to leave but looked over his shoulder to see if Riley was going to follow him, which she did.
     "What do you think they'll make us do?" The campers could be heard from inside, causing Chris to snicker.
     "It's our first challenge, how hard could it be?" At this, Chris began laughing.
     "What? What's their first challenge?" He placed an arm around his daughter's shoulder and with his other arm, pointed up at the cliff. "You are not..."
     "I am. It's going to be great."
     "They could get hurt."
     "We tested it out, well, Chef tested it out. It's safe enough, with emphasis on enough. Now if you're thinking of participating, although I don't recommend it because I don't need my child dying on national television, you'll need to change in to your bathing suit."
     "Okay. I'll see you up there."
     "Wait, really?"
     "Yeah, why not? It might be fun."
     "It's not suppose to be fun!"
     "Oh well."

       ___________________________

     An hour later, Riley appeared on the top of the cliff alongside the campers. "Oh shit." No one had realized just how high up the cliff was or how rocky the way down was or even how small the safe zone was.

*Author's note: I actually want to write this story but this chapter took me like four hours of stopping and pausing the episode at like 4 in the morning. And school is starting soon and it's going to be difficult. I was also considering waiting to post this chapter until I wrote a majority of the story but I changed my mind. Anyways I hope you guys enjoyed it and I want to thank you all for reading 😘