Natsu threw his arms up in the air, teetering on the sill but keeping his balance. "What the hell's up with this thing?" he barked at the window, his voice very muffled by the glass in between them.

It was at this point that Lucy began to feel guilty. Maybe it'd been too sudden to just lock him out. His only hope of getting inside was the window or the door, and he'd long since abandoned going through the door due to the fact that she wouldn't open it and let him in. The window was his only option and she'd locked him out. He didn't realize it yet, but when he did... would his feelings be hurt?

Lucy only wanted a night of sleep alone, without the heat flushing her cheeks as she tried to stay completely still next to him, fearful of either waking him or brushing up against him in an inappropriate manner. The warmth he provided was nice, and in all reality sleeping next to him was very comfortable, but she couldn't ever get a really good night's sleep with all the paranoia she had.

She'd shift slightly and her butt would brush up against his hand and she'd squeak in embarrassment, her face turning hot. It was a twin-sized bed after all; it was much too small for two people to sleep in comfortably, unless they were cuddling. That thought made her blush even harder.

Lucy's guilt turned absolutely horrible and she ducked behind her kitchen counter to hide. His feelings would probably be hurt; she didn't want to hurt his feelings. She honest to goodness just wanted a good night's sleep. She sat down on the linoleum, pressing her back against the island counter and obscuring herself from Natsu's view.

He was still raving and ranting at the window, his voice muffled as he called it numerous colorful names. He hadn't seen her and she was grateful. Although, he hadn't realized that it was her who had locked the window either.

His curses silenced a moment later and Lucy's breath caught. Maybe if he thought she wasn't home he wouldn't think she'd done it, and he wouldn't interpret it wrong and think she'd done it because she didn't want to be with him.

"Lucy?" he asked through the window. She bit her lip and kept completely quiet and still. She heard a squeak on the window's glass and guessed he had pressed his face right up to it so he could see inside. She'd been about ready to go to bed and so she only had a very dim light on above the kitchen sink. Although, she sometimes kept that on during the day anyway to hopefully make burglars think there was someone home. Maybe he wouldn't think anything of it.

"Hmmm," he muttered. "Luuucy?" He was silent for a moment, waiting for her answer. "I don't think she's home, Happy," he sighed.

"Aye, but I thought she said she was hitting the hay early tonight," she heard Happy chirp behind her partner.

"Yeah... maybe she changed her mind." She pictured Natsu shrugging and looking back at the blue Exceed. "Maybe she's hanging out with Levy or something. Let's go check the guild."

"Aye sir!"

There was another light thump and then all was quiet. Lucy gave it a few minutes before ever-so-hesitantly turning around and peering over the counter. The window was empty, no sign of Natsu or Happy anywhere aside from the smudge on the window where Natsu's face had hit. It was completely quiet too; a sure sign that Natsu wasn't around.

Lucy sighed to herself and stood. She wasn't sure how to feel. She was a bit relieved, in a way. They'd left and she could get ready for bed in peace, hopefully getting a calm night alone in which she could finally get some much-needed rest. But she also still felt immensely guilty. If Natsu was going to the guild, he wouldn't find her. He'd probably ask around and someone would tell him that they'd seen her go home. He might even search the town, but eventually he'd realize that she was in fact home, and had locked the window to keep him out.