True Love

"Wait—wait—I'm sorry!" The frog called out.

"What do you want now?" The witch sneered. "Is it not enough that I've turned you into a frog? I would stop flapping those lips if I were you, or a witch worse than I will turn you into worse than a frog."

"Well," the frog said, "I believe you need to tell me how this spell can be broken. It's part of Article twelve, Section four of the Code on Lawful Curses."

The witch let out an exasperated sigh. "I can quote the law too, you know. Article twelve, Section five, Clause two. A witch may cast a spell that can be cured by true love's kiss without informing the victim, as this spell-breaker has become common knowledge to the general public in the kingdom." She began to walk away, but the frog hopped after her.

"Please, please, witch. Give me a different way to break this curse." He let out a ribbit that startled him. His already-wide frog eyes widened at the thought that he might lose human speech.

"The name's Molly, not 'witch.' Now please leave me be. I'm very busy, and I've turned you into a frog because I hate them, not because I want one scampering after me."

"Molly. That's a lovely name," the frog croaked. "Not very witch-like at all, really. But now, about the spell-breaker..."

"Why do you want a different spell-breaker? True love is one of the easiest. In fact, there is a princess in a castle just three leagues that way." She pointed. "Go use your froggy charm and I'm sure things will work out for you."

"But of course they won't! That princess probably already has ten or twelve cursed frogs vying for her affections, and you know she will only choose a prince. I'm not a prince, but a humble dressmaker."

"Most of my victims curse my name and then leave me alone." The witch said. She let out an exaggerated sigh. "Why are you still talking to me?"

"Because..." the frog looked down bashfully. "Well because I'm afraid I can never break my curse, and I do not wish to live out the rest of my life as a frog. Perhaps I could just be a frog for a year? Having to live in a swamp and eat flies and be slimy and all those nasty things? A one-year sentence would be bearable."

"How about I turn you into a fly so a frog can eat you?"

"Quite the sense of vengeance you have there," the frog said. Then he had an idea. "If you turn me back, I can make you the most beautiful dress in the world."

"Wouldn't that be a joke?" the witch sneered. "A 'hideous' witch wearing the most beautiful dress in the world."

"You're not hideous," the frog said. He ribbited several times before he could speak. "I was impertinent in my comments before... If you would wear something besides that ancient black cloak you could be quite smashing."

The witch looked annoyed, but the frog continued, "If you could even just change the spell-breaker to something different, I swear that when I'm human again I will find you and give you the best dress in all the world."

"No," the witch said. "True love's kiss is your spell-breaker. End of story."

"Please?" the frog croaked desperately. "It's just that, I had no luck in love as a human, and now... I'm a frog... I'll never find true love—I'll be a frog forever!"

"No you won't," the witch said, sounding a little mournful. "Even the toads and frogs always find someone..." She turned to go, and the frog noticed her sadness.

"Molly?" the frog said. She stopped. "I know you won't change the spell-breaker for me, but could you just do one thing before you go?"

"What?" She sighed.

"Kiss me."

Molly's mouth was agape. "I hate frogs, remember?" she spat out. "You're repugnant."

"I know," he said. "But I've rather enjoyed our conversation, and nothing is impossible..."

She just looked at him, revolted by his bulging eyes and slimy skin.

"It's really the least you could do. I have to start my search for a true love somewhere, you know. I'll never bother you again if nothing happens."

"You swear it?"

He nodded his frog head, and she picked him up. "You really are disgusting," she said, echoing his cruel words from before. She closed her eyes and puckered up.

There was a flash, and suddenly she was not holding a frog in her hands—the handsome young dressmaker stood in front of her, grinning.

"Well," he said. "I had better get started on that dress for our wedding!"

And for the first time, Molly the witch smiled.