Chapter 14: Loanna's Sacrifice

The images rushed before him and the scene changed. This time it was a small dark room. The Grand Master and Loanna were talking, while she lit up the darkness with a torch.

"The expedition we sent to Cappadocia has succeeded," said the old man, this time dressed in armour. "The Nephilim were destroyed."

"But how's that possible?"

"They were mired in a kind of lethargy. It was easy to annihilate them."

"Then the only one left is Drakul!" She said, crossing herself to protect from the evil the very act of pronouncing that name evoked.

The Grand Master frowned. "I wish it was that simple, child. One of them ran away. We found his hole empty. Anyway, this is not the issue that worries me now." He went to a chest in the corner and pulled out a velvet pouch containing a spherical object, a beautiful blue crystal sphere, carved with strange symbols.

"We call it the Periapt," he said. "Actually, we are ignorant of where it's from. Our Order has always owned it. But we noticed this crystal is able to kill a Nephilim if it's wielded by a member of our Order. By any other person, it has no effect on these creatures."

Loanna took the Periapt with trembling hands.

"Fear not, daughter, it cannot be broken." And he sharply swatted the orb out of her hands and it fell to the ground. Loanna shouted when it shattered, but almost instantly, the pieces gathered together and the sphere was again intact.

"Pick it up, child."

She shook her head, terrified. "This is demonic magic!"

"No, my child. That's the power of angels. This crystal already existed when the Order was born, and will remain when the last of our brothers dies. The Periapt is made of a heavenly material that can kill an immortal being." Seeing that Loanna was reluctant to touch the Periapt, the Grand Master picked it up and put it back into the velvet bag. "From this Periapt three crystal pieces were taken and carved into three daggers, which we call the Periapt Shards. With them, our warriors have been able to kill the fallen angels. Now our fight is focused elsewhere. We must destroy Drakul, find the Nephilim who escaped and...and kill your son."

"That thing is not my son," Loanna said coldly. "That thing is a creation of its father. I had nothing to do with it."

He nodded. "The Periapt is our most valuable possession. It must never fall into enemy hands. Recently we learned that a cult has emerged and supports the Nephilim. They call themselves the Cabal."

Loanna frowned. "Jews?"

"No, my child. Some are priests. Others are doctors. They're guided by a man named Pieter Van Eckhardt, who calls himself The Black Alchemist."

She sighed. "Evil blossoms and makes its way."

Suddenly, a knight arrived on the run, sweating profusely. "Grand Master!" He gasped. "The Impaler is here in Egypt! He has used his alliances with the Turks to get to the Amazon!"

The news made Loanna go weak in the knees and she stumbled. The warrior caught her before she fell to the ground.

"We will see that," said the Grand Master. "Let us face them. Let the Nephilim know who the Lux Veritatis are." He drew his sword and kissed the hilt. "For this they will know! Bring together all our brothers. It's time to fight."

(...)

Once again, Kurtis was dragged to another time in a different place. This time to a rectangular chamber, empty except for a stone altar. Loanna arrived running, her clothes having been torn to rags, her hair loose. She closed the door and bolted it, visibly terrified. "Dead..." she muttered, panting. "All of them...it's my fault!"