Chapter 22: The Dreamcatcher

Somewhere on the border between Switzerland and Germany, a couple of hapless fugitives sought without success to leave the country without drawing the attention of the authorities, as Lara was still wanted by the police.

Nowhere in Europe would be safe enough to hide them from the police. Nowhere in the world was safe enough to hide them from Karel. It was the perfect moment to be swallowed by the earth - which didn't happen, of course.

That afternoon Kurtis told her all that happened since Gunderson kidnapped her from Egypt. He'd tried to sidestep the issue, but finally had to reveal the slaughter. Upon learning of Putai's death, Lara fell into a prolonged and painful silence, which lasted for the next hour of driving. After a while, exhausted, she laid her head on Kurtis' back and closed her eyes, feeling silent rage devouring her from the inside.

Putai, more beloved than a sister, despite cultural barriers; Putai, who saved her from a slow death under the pyramid...Putai, gunned down under Egypt's hot sun. The shaman had brought her life, and Lara had brought death to her and her people, the same people who helped her when she'd nowhere to go.

"Lara," Kurtis gasped, "if you keep squeezing me like that you'll crush my ribs."

"Sorry," she apologized, and loosened her arms. She was so focused on her misery that she hadn't noticed.

Kurtis had made no attempt to comfort to her until then, knowing that most times one wants solitude in such a case. But then he told her: "Believe me, Lara, I know how it feels when you're responsible for the death of a loved one. But someone taught me the dead don't want your tears or your regrets, but for you to fulfil your debt to them. I promised Putai two things. I've already done the first one. The second one is only a matter of time."

Lara nodded. She already knew what Putai had requested in the last moments of her life - but she couldn't help but feel furious. "Putai and her people have died for nothing," she said bitterly. "In the end that bastard caught me. If I'd given up when I had the chance..."

"Gunderson would've killed them the same. Lara, he was once my friend and I worked for him for a long time. He's an unmitigated liar. After that, he would've humiliated you until you regretted your stupidity. It's better this way. Stop tormenting yourself for your friend's death. She's at peace now, while you and me are still standing in the middle of all this mess." Then he added quickly: "Did I tell you the Golden Seal has changed again?"

Lara's head went off his back while saying irritably: "Of course not! And what is the unique honor of this revelation?"

"It changed just as I got to Munich," he said, ignoring his partner's sarcasm. "As I see you're tired, I'll get to the point: the map shows us Meteora valley in Thessaly, a province of Greece."

She was already doing calculations. "Meteora...I got it! The Meteora monasteries. Those are located over hundreds of meters high on lonely crags. In all likelihood, that's our next destination."

"But first..." Kurtis turned left on his motorbike and parked into what appeared to be...

"A roadside motel?" Lara said, not hiding her disappointment.

"Sorry, M'lady, but right now I don't have the address to the Ritz," he replied sarcastically. "Another time maybe."

That was the first time he called her 'm'lady'. She would never forget.

In fact, Lara was so worn out she could've slept on a stone.

"Actually, the less time we're here, the better. And it wouldn't hurt to tidy you up a bit."

Lara winced and patted her tangled hair. "So how awful do I look now?"

"Well...if you want my humble opinion, you never look awful. But people are gonna think badly of me." And he adjusted the rear view mirror to make her look at herself. Lara was almost scared of seeing her own face. She looked like she was dead and her swollen cheekbone was worse than ever, and then there was the matter of her torn clothes and matted hair.