Chapter 18: Giselle Boaz

Lara wondered if it was worth opening her eyes. She already knew what she was going to see: nothing. The Laboratory's rooms were locked and bolted, leaving the patients in darkness, bound to stretchers and without any chance to move.

She silently reviewed all similar situations she'd been in, and came to the sad conclusion that this was by far the worst. Her ankles and wrists hurt when trying in vain to remove the straps. The slightest movement was torture.

Darkness had sharpened her hearing, so she could hear murmuring, far-off crying, and the occasional scream or screeching metal. So at least she wasn't totally isolated.

But where was she? That place resembled the Strahov Sanitarium, which she knew by Kurtis' descriptions. As to what they would do to her, Lara guessed it, and while not harbouring any hope of getting rid of that, she resolutely decided not to give the enemy the satisfaction of seeing her desperation.

The door opened with a clang and a pulsing yellow light filled the narrow room, reflecting into the white tiled room, the bright glow dazing Lara. When getting used to the searing glare, she finally noticed the newly arrived person, and gasped. "Boaz?"

The woman looked up, annoyed. Indeed, she was pretty much alike to the Cabal scientist she'd met in Prague, but this one had blonde hair and her skin was perfect, without the horrible burns that framed the other's face. "Yes," she said with the same melodious voice. "I'm Dr. Boaz, though not the same you'll surely remember. That was my sister Kristina. I'm Giselle." Lara saw she was filling a syringe with a clear liquid. "And I see," she continued, "you're the woman for whom mein Meister has taken so much trouble. Disappointing. You're not worthy at all."

Lara studied the scientist's face, her narrowed eyes, her tight lips, and what she discovered almost made her laugh. That woman was jealous! Jealous of her!

Definitely, it was the last straw.

"Let's swap places," muttered Lara, "you lie here, I put this crap in you, and when your beloved Meister comes I'll switch off the light to see if he notices the difference."

That comment produced the desired effect. Giselle quickly dropped the syringe on the tray and slapped Lara. It wasn't so hard, but she just jolted her on the cheek already bruised by Gunderson's punch.

Indomitable, Lara went again. "What!" She exclaimed, surprised and ironic. "Did I offend you?"

Giselle, through clenched teeth, pricked her and murmured: "You're just a slut. I don't know what mein Meister sees in you. But very soon you'll stop mocking us."

Lara smiled slyly in reply. Enraged, the doctor came out and slammed the door. Back in the hall, Giselle took a few steps and leaned against the wall to slow her breathing, but she couldn't control the shaking, and dropping her head in her hands, she burst into uncontrolled and convulsive sobs.

(...)

Kurtis parked the motorbike in the alley and went out onto the busy street. He'd just arrived in Munich, almost at the limit of his strength. "I need a holiday." He grunted, rubbing his sore neck.

With a bit of logic, he'd guessed that if the Cabal had one of its bases in Munich, it would be in a prominent but not too obvious place. The city was vast and the base could be anywhere.

Under normal circumstances, he would've been patient and kept loose ends away by asking and remaining unnoticed. But time had run out for him, and patience as well. He decided to use his farsee.

He evoked and mentally projected Lara's face and name in all directions. If someone in that city had seen or heard of her in the last twenty-four hours, he'd locate that person immediately.