chapter seven

dan

This time, Dan is running.

There's a never ending, blank corridor. There's something chasing him, and he has no idea what it is, but when it gets close, Dan's head fills with all his bad memories, making his heart ache in pain, so he keeps going.

His legs are burning, his breathing ragged, his body feels like it's being torn apart, but every time he stops, his head is plagued with memories.

There's no end to the corridor, and Dan can't keep running, his legs are starting to sink into the ground, literally, the concrete floor is starting to swallow his shoes, followed by his legs. He can't run now, and the memories are starting to take over again.

All he can do is curl up, block his ears and pray for it to end. He can still hear the voices, so he just screams until that's all he can hear.

There's a sharp pain in Dan's whole side, especially in his elbow.

He opens his eyes to find himself on the floor, sweating and his head thumping painfully. He frowns as he looks around - he doesn't recognize this place...

"Dan?" A voice asks, startling him.

"Phil...?" Dan says, his voice rough and husky from sleep.

He rubs his eyes, trying to get the thick layer of sleep, which is making his eyelids stick together, off. He lets out a yawn and starts massaging his temples to aid his headache.

"You look terrible. Nightmare?" Phil asks, frowning at Dan, looking slightly intimidating with his punk-like looks and because Dan is sitting, his height towering over him.

"Y-yeah, uh, how did you know?" Dan asks curiously.

"Because, you were tossing and turning like mad, not to mention you were sweating buckets. I think you screamed towards the end before you finally rolled off the couch, hence when you woke up," Phil explains, throwing Dan a packet of painkillers and setting a glass of water on the coffee table near him, "now have these."

"Thanks," Dan breathes, downing two pills, following with the glass of water.

"You were a right mess," Phil says quietly, sitting on a couch next to the one Dan is on.

"Yeah, uh, thanks for letting me stay here," Dan murmurs quietly, "I really appreciate it."

"Yeah well don't think it's a permanent arrangement," Phil snaps, his mood changing completely, "I don't want your drunken ass on my couch every morning."

"Sorry, I'll leave then," Dan apologizes, standing up quickly, swaying only slightly, "uh, thanks Phil."

"Dan, no I-" Phil starts to protest, snapping moods again, but Dan just staggers towards the door, but Phil easily catches up, grabbing his arm, "I'm sorry, don't go."

"I don't get it," Dan whispers, looking at Phil, "I don't get anything..."

"What? Now you're just confusing me..."

"You're the confusing one! You and your face!" Dan stammers, his drunken state making the filter on his words disappear, "I don't understand..."

"What? What don't you understand?" Phil asks, "what about my face?"

"Why isn't it blurry? Why isn't it like everyone else's? Why yours?" Dan asks, his eyes watering, "why, why, why?"

"What are you talking about?" Phil asks, now very confused, not sure if Dan is trying to tell him something or if it's just his drunken state.

"My blurry face!" Dan yells suddenly, "it's ruined my life!"