Epilogue Part II: Wide Eyes, In Our Hearts

XXX. 

"I have never forgotten your eloquent wisdom. The beauty in your words, the music in your laugh, and the child at your heart. I have never forgotten your promise. I wait patiently for the day I get to see you once more."

"Sarah! Joshua! The two of you need to come back inside and get something to eat please! We need to go soon!"

Sarah looked over her shoulder, seeing her mother and father standing on the large wooden porch that was entryway to the home. They had paper plates in their hands, topped with various food items from the previous night's barbecue. Sarah then felt dirt and gravel kick up around her, and scowled as her older brother took off running to the house.

But she didn't want to go inside. In fact, she wanted to remain by the water for as long as she could.

"Sarah?" The girl heard her mother's voice draw closer, and she curled her tiny knees up to her chest and seated herself down on the soft grass. The lap of the water was tantalizing.

"Sarah honey, you need to come inside now. It's nearly dinner time and we need to be in the car by eight if we want to be back home before dark. Also Grandpa is closing the place soon for the winter. He needs time to lock everything up."

Sarah shook her head. "I don't want to go back to school." She said quietly. "I want to stay here with him."

"I know." There was then a hand on her arm, and she felt herself get tugged into a standing position. "But you know that once you get back into the swing of things you'll feel better. You always do."

"I don't want to."

"You know your teachers, you'll have all your friends there with you, and your brother won't be far either. Things will be just fine."

"He doesn't want anything to do with me." Sarah scowled over in the direction of her older brother, who was plucking a hot dog off their father's plate. "He already told me not to talk to him during recess, or in the halls, or whenever he sees me."

Her mother's eyes flickered with laughter. "Sarah, that's ridiculous. I'll talk to him tonight, just relax and let's get something to eat. I bet if you head inside now, Grandpa might tell you one of his famous stories."

"Really?"

"Go and find out for yourself."

The girl took off towards the home, kicking up sand and various other debris that was soon to get stuck in the straps of her shoes. Pushing in through the front door, she saw Josh sitting cross-legged on the couch and her grandfather in his own straw chair not far away.

"Did you have a good time out by the water?" The elderly man asked her, gesturing towards the stack of plates and buffet of various snack foods that had been distributed into bowls. The girl grabbed one of the plates, then began to stack it high with potato chips.

"Yeah." She affirmed, heading over and not even asking before pulling herself up on his lap. "But it's getting cold. Winter is coming, right?"

"It is. Not quite yet, but it will be soon."

Sarah's face fell. Summer was always her favourite, and for good reasons. She loved the time spent with her family on the beach and in the pool. She loved that she didn't have to go to school, and that she could spend all day curled up watching cartoons until her eyes were dry. Her brother shared the same sentiment, and it was then when the young siblings got along best.

"What's wrong honey?" Her grandfather asked with a frown. "You don't look like you're all that happy with the prospect of winter."

"Um...I guess it's just..." The girl poked at her plate of food. "I really do like the summer better Grandpa." She told him. "I like it when the animals are running around everywhere you look, and I love the warm weather, and the sunshine, and the leaves on the trees."