Chapter 13: The Everlasting

XIII.

Camila woke to the patter of small feet on her shoulder, prying her eyes open to see that she was locked tight against Lauren's body. The warmth emanating from the green eyed girl was incredibly comforting, and was keeping her toasty in the frigid room. Wanting only to remain in her current position forever, Camila reluctantly looked behind her into a pair of massive brown eyes and a wagging tail.

"Hi." Camila smiled, giggling as the dog scrambled over her body and landed in a heap between her and Lauren, staring up at them both with its mouth parted and tongue hanging out. "You look way better than you did yesterday. Did you get bigger?" Camila lifted an arm to pet the puppy, trailing her hand from the top of its head to the tip of its tail. She then leaned forward, brushing a strand of dark hair from Lauren's face and pressing a soft kiss to the bridge of her nose.

Camila found herself smiling as Lauren's eyes opened slowly and she blinked away the sleep. The brunette was unsure as to whether this was a new occurrence, but in the light of day, Lauren's eyes boasted a reflective sea of the most calming shade of green Camila had ever laid eyes on.

"Mmm?" Lauren yawned, stretching her pale limbs and curling into her pillow. Her eyes opened further, and she cracked a small smile. "Morning." Lauren had woken once through the night, and composed herself long enough to notice how perfectly their bodies locked together. Like fitted pieces of a puzzle, lock and key, Lauren had never felt so comfortable with the smaller girl bundled in her arms and a warm breath on her neck. Even with her past boyfriends, things hadn't been nearly as seamless. Body parts bumped together, awkward angles were created, sheets and blankets were tossed around in unruly abandon, and the small talk was absolutely endless. With Camila, everything was just effortless; sweet and simple.

"Did you sleep well?" Camila focused on stroking the dog's back gently as it sniffed Lauren's face.

"So well. I still can't believe last night actually happened. My mind still isn't sure if this is real or not." Lauren murmured back, staring dreamily at Camila. She didn't even have to hide it anymore, and it was all so surreal. The best part however, was yet to come.

"You better set your mind straight." Camila grinned at the heavy scratch in Lauren's sleep-lined voice. "Because it happened."

Lauren lifted the animal into her arms and let it sit on her chest, folding down its ears playfully. "So did you want to tell the others, or will I?"

"I think that's more of a two woman job." Camila chuckled, rolling her eyes and shifting her weight in preparation to rise to her feet. "I'm going to go get food, did you want anything?"

"Yeah."

"What did you want me to get you?"

Lauren smirked, reaching up and catching Camila's arm before she got too far away. As the puppy scooted away, she pulled the brunette down and stole her lips in a soft kiss. Camila smiled as Lauren's hand traveled up to cup her face and trace the line of her jaw with a thumb. "You really are enjoying that, aren't you?" Camila couldn't stop smiling as Lauren pulled back.

"You have no idea."

Camila padded up the stairs, her spine tingling with happiness at the knowledge that Lauren's eyes were locked on her no matter the move she made. When she emerged from the basement, she came face to face with a bustle of activity.

"Good morning Lauren—... wait." Dinah turned around with a box of Mini Wheats in her hand and a dumbfounded look on her face. Her makeup from the previous night was smeared, and her hair still held it perfectly curled elegance. "Camila? Whoa."