Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Declan

It'd been at least 2 weeks now, and he hadn't heard from Jamie or Miriam. The storm had long passed, and he was glad. No damage was done in his town, and for that he was thankful. Thatcher had called and texted, and they'd hung out at least three times over the past couple weeks. He didn't bring up the girls, so neither did Declan. He'd busied himself with yardwork, exercise and Netflix.

Sad to admit, but he was already on season 8 of Friends.

He was laying on his bed when his phone chimed beside him. The screen lit up and when he glanced over he saw a text from Miriam. He stroked Al's body coat of fur as he unlocked his phone.

From: Miriam

Ayyy come over?

Sent at 3:27 pm.

After two weeks, this is what she says?

To: Miriam

Right now? Y?

Received at 3:28 pm.

His eyes refocused on the television. The whole group was together in their favorite coffee shop onscreen. Phoebe cracked a joke at Chandler's expense, and Declan laughed along. His phone buzzed beside him.

From: Miriam

Dunno. Bored.

Sent at 3:31 pm.

Declan debated his options. Either he could go out and spend time with Miriam who quite possibly had strong feelings for him, or he could stay at home and binge watch more of Friends.

He was strongly leaning toward the latter.

However, he did sort of miss her presence. But he didn't want to lead her on.

To: Miriam

Be over in 10.

Sent at 3:32 pm.

Who knew, maybe he could convince her to not like him?

Thirteen minutes later, Declan's truck screeched to a halt, parallel to the sidewalk in front of Miriam's house.
He was about to climb out of the driver side when he heard a pull on the passenger door.

Miriam slid in gracefully, and buckled herself in without asking. "You're three minutes late," she chided, a small smile on her face. Declan shut his door, taking in her appearance.

Her long black hair was loosely curled, framing her heart-shaped face. A blue floral sundress clung against her fame and as for shoes, she was wearing big, clunky cowboy boots.

He raised an eyebrow, looking to her face. Her unnaturally red lips were set in a tight line, her features taught. Her normally impeccable eyeliner was smudged slightly. Declan continued to stare on, her gaze avoiding his.

"What's wrong?"

Miriam bit her lip, looking ready to burst into tears. "Let's just go over to your place," she murmured, casting a glance at her house. "I don't feel like being home."

Declan took one more glance at her before readjusting his seatbelt and turning the truck back on.

Together, they roared away from her home.

Declan had no clue where to go, so he brought her back to his house. Once inside, she collapsed on the couch, her face buried in her hands. He squatted on the ground beside her, his elbow resting on the cushion.