Chapter 26

When we get back to the firehouse Chief calls Kelly and I into his office. I make sure that Jake is with Hermann and Casey and then I join them. I close the door to Chief's office behind me and then take a seat beside Kelly. Chief takes a seat across from us and says, "Good work out there today. I'm giving you guys the rest of shift off so you can take care of Jake. When your replacements arrive you can take off right away." 

Kelly rises and says, "Thank you Chief." 

We both shake his hand and then we exit. When we get back to the main area our replacements are just arriving. Kelly and I quickly change and shower. We then grab our things, go out to the ER, and get Jake taken care of. After he's all stitched up we make our way to the apartment. When we arrive I start making lunch while Kelly watches TV. Jake takes a seat on the bar stool and watches me cook. After a couple minutes of silence Jake says, "It's all my fault Chase is almost dead, isn't it?"

 Kelly shuts off the TV and goes to sit beside Jake. Then he says, "Jake, it's definitely not your fault." 

"But it is! I convinced Chase to come to the library with me!"

 I then set down the spoon that I'm using and say, "Jake there is no way that you knew what was going to happen."

 "Yes, but when we were trapped I could've pushed a little harder to get the concrete off of him." 

"Quinn and I could barely lift the slab with our crowbars so there is no way that you could've possibly lifted it yourself."

 "Fine, but I could've done so many other things and he would've been home right now like me."

 I grab Jake's hands and say, "Jake, you did everything there was to do. It's not your fault. You knew how to keep him awake for as long as possible and kept your cool. You stayed put with your friend. If you had moved then we wouldn't have found either of you and because of your good work and our timing Chase is still alive. Now I want you to look me in the eyes and tell me that it's not your fault." 

He looks up at me with his bright blue eyes and says, "You're right. It's not my fault. Thank you." 

I nod and then we all dish up our lunch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated! I feel really bad about it so I hope you guys enjoy the update!

So big news! I've finally posted my poetry work on Wattpad. I only have one poem up so far but I hope you guys like it!

Who's excited for Chicago Med? I'm pumped because there is nothing I love more than my Chicago shows haha! You know, except making fanfics about them. Speaking of fanfics, I was wondering, if I made a Chicago Med fanfic, would you guys read it? I have a couple of ideas and a title but I want to make sure I'll have readers. Of course it won't be up for a few weeks because I'll need to watch a couple episodes to get a handle on the characters. Let me know what you think!

Finally, thank you guys for 10.8 K reads! I really can't believe how lucky I am to have so many reads! Thank you guys so much! -Becca