Part 8

The two young trolls sit under the rickety staircase, staring silently out from underneath it with nervous expressions. The screams of other trolls echo sharply from the walls with the Grand Highblood's wild honking harmoniously joining the melody in a sinister and chilling tune. No one will come to stop him—so long as his sacrifices stick to those of trollian heritage, the local authorities have no reason to interfere. Who cares what they do to each other?

Gamzee winces as a particularly agonized scream rips from the throat of a male—though by the high-pitched sharpness of the noise, you'd never know it. The sound is unnatural for any creature, and Kurloz's stomach twists sickeningly as he pulls his invertabrother under his arm. He bites his tongue, tasting the blood that wells in his mouth, hating the terrifying noise—and hating that small part of him that has been trained to revel in it. He curses the thought of the Grand Highblood mentally, wishing he'd been culled as a grub rather than be raised by that madman. A madman who wanted him to take over his place as the Grand Highblood one day and treat other trolls the same way.

The sound cuts off with a moment of gurgling, then the only noises left are the satisfied rumbling of the Grand Highblood and the terrified sobs of captive trolls.

"Kurloz?" Gamzee tugs on a curl of his hair. "Can we go somewhere else? Maybe outside?" Kurloz looks down to at him, seeing the disquiet the younger troll tries to hide.

"Yeah, we can. Come on." He pulls him up quietly, as their father-lusus has grown silent as well. Gamzee grabs his finger as they move down the corridor away from the cells, heading for the exit to the hive—and hoping the sun was already down. Yet as they turn the corner that leads to the doorway a giant hand reaches out to grab Kurloz by the neck. He releases a startled yell and Gamzee spins around in fear, looking up at the enormous height of the Grand Highblood with wide eyes.

"And where do you think you're going? ANSWER ME, YOU MOTHERFUCKING WRIGGLER!" Kurloz's mouth flaps silently as he dangles from the hold on him, fear silencing his tongue. "Where were you, boy? I MOTHERFUCKING TOLD YOU TO JOIN ME FOR THE MIRACULOUS SACRIFICE DEMANDED BY THE MESSIAHS! One day it will be your duty to lead blasphemers to the Dark Carnival. REMEMBER THAT! Now what do you have to say to explain your motherfucking absence?"

Kurloz shivers as he meets the Highblood's indigo gaze, a small whimper the only sound to leave his five sweep old throat. "Pathetic." He's dropped back to the stone floor, body bouncing slightly on impact. "MOTHERFUCKING PATHETIC!" The Highblood turns away in disgust, leaving him lying on the floor. Kurloz slams his fist into the ground as a spark of rejection lights in him, and he angrily pushes back the hint of relief at being left alive and intact. When he is able to lift his head again, however, his blood chills at the sight of Gamzee locked in the Grand Highblood's gaze. A cruel sneer flits across his lips, and Gamzee—in his soper-induced stupor—foolishly steps back in his anxiety. The Highblood watches his retreat with a predatory intent, and reaches for the small troll with one of his large, bony hands. A growl bubbles free from Kurloz's throat and he throws himself at the appendage. His fangs bury into the flesh of the troll's forearm and he wraps his arms tightly around the hand, claws scraping against the grey skin. The Grand Highblood merely laughs at the action, flicking his descendant away with an amused motion of his arm.

"Now that is MORE MOTHERFUCKING LIKE IT. One day you'll make the perfect ringmaster for the Messiahs." He strolls away with a content laugh rumbling from his deep, barreled chest. Gamzee helps Kurloz shakily to his feet and leads him back to his respiteblock. The sun is still up, in any event, so there was no point in continuing their trek outside. He falls onto his bed tiredly, wishing he could at least look stronger for Gamzee's sake.

"I'm sorry, Gam."

"For what, 'Loz?"

"For freezing up like that. Maybe if I hadn't he wouldn't have noticed you at all."