Part 3

The two Capricorn children walk along the sand, waves crashing against their bare ankles like a playful pet being ignored and desperate for attention. Their small footprints trail over the grains, leaving hardly any indentation to show they had been there. The smaller troll, younger by nearly two and a half sweeps, nudges a sand crab with his toe and watches as it scuttles away from him, his hand firmly grasping his invertibrother's own.

"Kurloz?"

"Hm?" The taller boy looks down, but can't see Gamzee's face past the wild mop of hair hiding his downturned face.

"You think I'll ever see him again?" He was, of course, referring to his moirail, Karkat Vantas, whom had been sent away on a whim with his family by their own father, the Grand Highblood. The reasons were unapparent to them all.

"I don't know, Gamzee. I don't see why you won't." The small Capricorn looks out toward the ocean they are skirting.

"I hope so. I really miss him." Kurloz gives his hand a squeeze, trying to cheer him up. He would have said something too, if a large stone hadn't collided with the back of his head. He rubs the back of his skull and looks around, spotting a group of human boys nearby who are laughing. Gamzee looks at them in confusion, then down at the rock.

"Go back to your own planet, you freaks!"

"Hey now," Gamzee interjects, stepping forward. "Why can't we all up and be motherfucking friends? You don't need to be throwing rocks and stuff."

"Why would we be friends with you? My mom says you got horns because you're demons from hell. And that you're evil."

"Well, that ain't motherfucking nice. We aren't demons, bro, we're trolls!"

"Like the kind that hide under bridges and eat anyone who passes over them?"

Gamzee pauses and looks to Kurloz. "There aren't no trolls that up and do that, are there?" Kurloz shakes his head and tries to lead Gamzee away. Another stone hits the back of his head, but this time Gamzee pulls away to confront them about it.

"Stop that, right the fuck now!"

"Or what?"

"I'll motherfucking cull you!"

The boys start chortling with laughter at the statement. "Even their words are weird," someone says through their exuberance. Gamzee snarls, stalking forward with his hands curled into fists, but someone races forward to shove him to the ground. Kurloz gives his own snarl, one more vicious and threatening than his younger siblings, and snatches up that kid by his neck. The boy squirms wildly in his strong grasp, mouth flapping for the air that's been cut off from him. Kurloz's eyes glow a deep purple in his anger at the aggression, and he speaks with a dark, threatening tone.

"Don't you ever motherfucking touch him again, lowblood. Or I'll cull you." He drops the human to the ground with a disgusted grunt and watches as they all scuttle away like the vermin they were, and then turns to his brother. "Are you alright, Gam?"

"You shouldn't have up and hurt him, 'Loz. He didn't do anything to deserve it."

"He pushed you. One of his blood shouldn't even think of touching us—or, at least that's what the Grand Highblood says. Though, to let you in on a little secret, I'm not entirely sure if I believe him that we're so much motherfucking better." Gamzee's eyes burn at the mention of the Grand Highblood—who is their guardian.

"I motherfucking hate him, bro. He's always hurting you 'cause he feels like it, and..." Gamzee shudders, eyes moving back to their hive as he contemplates the giant troll's reactions. "He might be mad, 'Loz. If someone tells that you beat up a human they might come over and make him angry." His hands start to wring his damp shirt in nervous agitation.