The Girl with the Mask

Start from the beginning

My head instantly snaps in her direction because of the bullshit that just came out of her mouth. Eliza is the last person to forget anything, ever. Whether it's that time you peed your pants in third grade, or apples for the pie you've been talking about making for days.

Layla, on the other hand, is much too gullible, "Eliza! Please, please tell me you didn't. We have to deliver those apple pies tomorrow morning!"

I can tell Layla is trying hard not to be upset, but she has never catered before, and even though it's only three pies, I know she wants as much time as possible to make them perfect.

"There is no way that Eliza – Ow! What the fuck?"

My palm clasps my shin instantly as I focus my glare on Eliza who just brazenly kicked me, but her focus is on Layla.

"I'm so sorry, I've been so forgetful lately! And I can't go get them because I promised my mum I would come to my sister's ballet recital." Eliza lowers her head in faux shame, pouting her lip and furrowing her brow and I just know that she is up to no good.

Layla sighs, distraught, before walking over to pat Eliza's lying head, "Don't worry about it. I can pick some up now and still have time to bake all three before evening."

I'm about to interject and tell her that Eliza is lying, but her head snaps up so fast I'm surprised it doesn't fall off.

"Oh, you're my hero, Layla! Thank you so much!" She grins happily before her eyes widen in realization and she turns her head to me, "Here's an idea! Harry, you should go with her!"

Whoop, there it is.

I knew she was up to something, and by the glint in her eye, I can tell she thinks she got it. But, when I glance at Layla from the corner of my eye I see her freeze and I know, for whatever reason, she doesn't want me there.

"I don't think-"

"Sorry, do you want her to get lost? She's never been to the farmer's market." Eliza wastes no time in cutting me off and if her words hadn't striked fear in me, the glare she's shooting at me sure would have.

"Okay, okay. I'd be happy to go with Layla... If she wants?"

Maybe it's because I need to boost my wounded ego or because I need to hear her say she wants me around, but I level my gaze on her for what feels like the first time in a long time.

Green meets green and the sadness in her eyes almost ends me right then and there, but then she flashes me the softest smile and I swear my heart melts.

"Of course I want you to come, Harry. I always want you around."

____________________________

Eliza: Now, what am I supposed to do with a dozen of perfectly good apples?

The text comes only a few minutes after we have boarded a bus to the farmer's market. I instantly turn the phone away just in case Layla so happens to glance in my direction because even though Eliza's plotting did quite irritate me –I can't deny that I am happy with the results.

I don't have time to reply before the next stop when a plethora of people –mostly men- board the bus and I give up my seat to an elderly man with a cane.

I make sure to stay near Layla, just in case, grabbing onto the bar in front of her and keeping an eye on the middle-aged man that sat next to her and continuously glances at her chest.

Usually I would knock some manners into the guy, but I don't want to scare Layla off like last time.

As soon as Layla begins to squirm uncomfortably, bringing her bag to her chest, and glancing at me for help, I grab her hand and pull her out of the seat. Glaring at the guy whose gaze directs towards her bum when she stands, I pull her through the crowd.